OH LAWD! Windows hates my Droid!

loop4zil

Reaction score
Grrr...why does windows hate on my droid????!!!! Windows wants to format my sdcard when I try to mount droid to PC.

Need help...fresh ideas!

So Monday I woke up to a sdcard error.

Sunday night I installed the batteryleft widget...in order to calibrate the widget I ran my droid's battery to empty. I am sure that is where the sdcard was damaged. Probably some SDcard process was interrupted when the droid finally died.

Eventually I reformatted the SDcard on the droid. That seemed to go smoothly. I was able to see the sdcard with Astro and Linda. Other apps that use the SD card worked properly (eg Beautiful widgets, gallery etc).

BUT

When I connected my droid a PC (windows XP, vista and windows 7) windows wanted to reformat my card.

SO

I connected my card to a sdcard reader...windows saw the files on the card with out any problem....I was able to add and remove files to the card using the reader

THEN

I reformatted the SDcard in all the various ways I could think of...on the droid...on different PCs...with my fingers crossed...with my eyes closed...no change in the situation...SO I am thinking the problem is not my SDcard

THEN

I reinserted the card in the droid...hooked it up to the PC to try various settings...and I get the reboot cycle. after trouble shooting this for about an hour I decided on a factory reset of the droid and yet ANOTHER reformat of the SDcard.

SO

No more reboot cycle...but Windows PCs still want to reformat my SDcard when I hook my droid up and mount.

Advice requested...

• Would going back to stock w/ no root no busybox potentialy fix this?

• Could I live with transferring files to and from my Droid via sdcard reader?

• What about a refurb?...Has anyone had good or bad luck with VzW refurbs
I am a card carrying member of Android ROM Flashing Anonymous (ARFA)

ronhawker

Reaction score
why does windows hate on my droid????!!!!

Grrr...why does windows hate on my droid????!!!! Windows wants to format my sdcard when I try to mount droid to PC.

It doesn't. It just doesn't see the SD card structure as standard windows and wants to help. Just ignore it and mount on. I get that with a lot of sd cards from MP3 players and cameras.

The sd card should only be formatted by the device you are using it in which puts the appropriate directories that that device uses. You should be able to read the sd card with windows anyway. Formatting under windows may screw up the device structure that the device needs. In that case you will go back and forth forth for ever as you have found already.

ronhawker

Reaction score
SD mount

There is a mount procedure you have to go through on the Droid to see the sd card. When you connect the usb cable you should see the usb icon appear at the top of the screen notification area. Once you connect with the usb cable, go to the notifications area. The fastest way I have found is the home page submenu and tap the notifications button. I always have problems pulling down the notification menu from the top.

Once the notification screen is displayed, you should see USB Connected bar. Tap that bar and you should get a second screen that allows you to Mount the SD card. Windows should then response so that you can see the card. After you are done you need to reverse the mount by the same method and unmount the card from windows so the Droid can use the card.

Hope this helps.

Just ignore it and mount on. I get that with a lot of sd cards from MP3 players and cameras.

I cannot see the file structure on the SD in windows unless I use a sdcard reader...wierd huh?

Maybe it is something wrong with the micro usb?

OP
loop4zil

loop4zil

Reaction score
After I go thru the standard mount procedure I select the drive to see the folders on the SDcard...Windows tells me that it needs to format the drive and the folders do not show up. So all this happens AFTER I mount the droid int he manner described above.

I do not have this problem when I pull the card and use a reader. Windows recognizes the format and sees the folders on the SDcard. I can transfer files just fine this way.

I could mount and transfer files via the droid prior to the SDcard error and reformat. Since then I have had no luck.

I was hoping there was a simple fix...

Last edited:

slayda

Reaction score
When I first my Droid, I had a similar problem. It seemed that the SD card wasn't "seating" properly in the Droid. It was loose & sloppy so even if it worked initially it would eventually lose contact. After several attempts, I finally got it in the correct position and haven't touched it since. After several weeks it is still working properly.

Hope this helps.