How to Reformat & Recover SD Card

ajGoes

Reaction score
Not long after I got my phone I accidentally disconnected the USB while the card was mounted. Apparently the SD card's file system suffered some corruption at that time because ever since, Windows 7 wants to scan and fix the card whenever I mount it. (In a related note, anyone who wants to know how to BSOD a Windows 7 box can ask me....)

It's one of those minor annoyances that I'd like to correct. Somewhere I saw a suggestion to back up the card, reformat, and restore it. I haven't found detailed instructions. Can I just copy everything from the root onto my computer, reformat the card, and copy it all back? Will I risk losing installed apps or anything else if I do that?

Thanks for any guidance (preferably from folks who have done this and lived to tell the tale),

aj

neccoguy21

Reaction score
Wow, that kinda sucks this thread has gone so long unanswered. i really hope you found your solution by now, but if not, here ya go!

My Answer to Your Question: Yes, all you need to do to get rid of that annoyance is drag n drop everything from your card to your computer. format, then move it all back. your phone wont know the difference. i just got done doing this myself. its good for you:) while your at it, take a look at WHAT your about to put back on your card... you may not need alot of the weird files and folders that other apps you dont use anymore have so kindly cluttered your sd card with.

bernilynn

Reaction score
Removing files from SD card

Can you remove apk files from the card without deleting anything important? For instance, I installed Scrabble via apk file, and it's now on my phone. Can I delete the apk file from my card?
Thanks.

kirbnite

Reaction score
if you installed the apk onto the phone, then the installer file is no longer needed. It is nice to keep it somewhere so you have it for any future installs.