Droid Eris keeps saying insert new SDcard (HELP)

filipinokid2o9

Reaction score
I have a Droid Eris and it keeps saying the "SDcard is removed. Please insert a new one"

I tried turning off/on the phone and tried to rebooting the phone a billion times, but still comes out to the same result every time. I can't mount the SDcard or reformat it because its gray. I simply tried putting the SDcard back in and out, but still says the same thing. I tried putting in a different SDcard, but still says the same thing. But when i put my SDcard that im currently using into a different phone the SDcard works.. So i am assuming it has to do something with the phone!! I have no idea how to fix this!!.. Any suggestions will help.. Thanks!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to unmount the card before you can format it, but if you want to save whats on your card, do the following:

Do you have a card reader for your computer? If not, go to walmart and buy one. Power down the phone, and remove the card. Put it in your reader, and plug it in to your computer. If your computer reads it, great! (99% of the time your computer will read it) If not, you arent going to be able to do much other than reformat it. If it is readable, back up everything to a folder on your computer. Once it is backed up to your computer (or if you cant read your card), right click on your card, and format it. I format it FAT32, (Quick format), eject the card before you remove it. Pop it back into your phone, and boot your phone back up. Form the home screen, hit menu, settings, SD card, unmount card, format card. If your card is recognized by the phone, transfer everything from your back up back to the sd card.

OP
F

filipinokid2o9

Reaction score
You have to unmount the card before you can format it, but if you want to save whats on your card, do the following:

Do you have a card reader for your computer? If not, go to walmart and buy one. Power down the phone, and remove the card. Put it in your reader, and plug it in to your computer. If your computer reads it, great! (99% of the time your computer will read it) If not, you arent going to be able to do much other than reformat it. If it is readable, back up everything to a folder on your computer. Once it is backed up to your computer (or if you cant read your card), right click on your card, and format it. I format it FAT32, (Quick format), eject the card before you remove it. Pop it back into your phone, and boot your phone back up. Form the home screen, hit menu, settings, SD card, unmount card, format card. If your card is recognized by the phone, transfer everything from your back up back to the sd card.

Thanks for replying, okay so i put the SDcard in the card reader. Then i put it in the computer and reformat it to a FAT32 (Quick format), ejected the card and powered off my phone and then put the SDcard back in. Then powered up the phone went to the settings and the unmount/mount and format card is gray i cant click either of them and my phone still doesnt recognize the SDcard.. i tried rebooting my phone many times and tried taking the SDcard out and putting it back in.. but then it just starts saying please insert a new SDcard again.. any other suggestions?? Thanks for your help!