OG car charge vs. Bionic car charge on Bionic?

lkevinl

Reaction score
So, what's the verdict on using the OG Droid car charger with the Bionic? I feel like it is charging the Bionic very slowly. Could there be some current limiting going on? How well does the stock Bionic car charger work?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I'm currently using the OEM charger that came with the Car Mount kit for my DX and it's working fine.
I do however seem to recall there was some sort of difference (at least cosmetic if not internal) between the OG Rapid Charger and the one for my DX.

I would suggest searching Amazon and finding a new one.. I think they're like $4 if you look

Snow02

Reaction score
Look on the charger and see how much current it's putting out. I guarantee the og charger is lower than what the bionic really needs.

billyk

Reaction score
What is the current value for the Bionic car charger? It would be great to compare.

Smeech

Reaction score
5.1v 850mah. The stock OG AC USB adapter is the same as the Bionic.

I have a Motorola wall adapter that is rated at 5v 850mah from my OGD as well. (Hardwred, no separate USB cord)

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
The Motorola car charger I got with the Costco deal is rated at 950mA. The part number is SPN5400A.

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
I can't comment on the car charger, but the wall charger from my OG would NOT charge the bionic. It just sustained charge already there. 3 hours of charging netted me about a 10% boost, after which I swapped out for the charger that came with the bionic. I had an aftermarket charger at work (for the droid1), however, and it charges the bionic just as well as the charger it came with.

billyk

Reaction score
I can't comment on the car charger, but the wall charger from my OG would NOT charge the bionic. It just sustained charge already there. 3 hours of charging netted me about a 10% boost, after which I swapped out for the charger that came with the bionic. I had an aftermarket charger at work (for the droid1), however, and it charges the bionic just as well as the charger it came with.

Interesting.

Do both the OG and new Bionic chargers have the same amperage values on them?

Smeech

Reaction score
The OGD USB AC adapter is the same. Interestingly enough the Micro USB cable I use made a difference. The hardwired wall adapter is rated 0.1v less, same amperage. I had a problem with it registering charge but unplugging and plugging back in worked for me.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The charger/USB question answer seams to be "mileage may vary". There is another thread where people complain that their Bionic will not charge/transfer data except with the USB supplied in the box.

My Bionic will charge/transfer data on the supplied charger/USB, my OGD chargerUSB, and my ancient LG EnV charger. It will charge in the car on my OGD charger and one I bought from Radio Shak

showtime2k

Reaction score
I had the car charger for my OG that Verizon gave to me when I got it. When I upgraded to the Bionic I used it and it worked for about 3 days. After that it wouldn't charge the Bionic at all, but it would still charge my OG. I had to end up going to verizon and just getting a new charger and since then it has been charging in the car with no issues.

So if you have one of the older chargers it may work for a while.