1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

OG car charge vs. Bionic car charge on Bionic?

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Accessories' started by lkevinl, Sep 17, 2011.

1. lkevinl

lkevinl New Member

So, what's the verdict on using the OG Droid car charger with the Bionic? I feel like it is charging the Bionic very slowly. Could there be some current limiting going on? How well does the stock Bionic car charger work?
  2. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

I'm currently using the OEM charger that came with the Car Mount kit for my DX and it's working fine.
    I do however seem to recall there was some sort of difference (at least cosmetic if not internal) between the OG Rapid Charger and the one for my DX.

I would suggest searching Amazon and finding a new one.. I think they're like $4 if you look
  3. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

Look on the charger and see how much current it's putting out. I guarantee the og charger is lower than what the bionic really needs.
  4. billyk

billyk New Member

What is the current value for the Bionic car charger? It would be great to compare.
  5. Calla969

Calla969 New Member

6. billyk

billyk New Member

Anyone have the charging values?
    Thanks!
  7. Smeech

Smeech New Member

5.1v 850mah. The stock OG AC USB adapter is the same as the Bionic.

I have a Motorola wall adapter that is rated at 5v 850mah from my OGD as well. (Hardwred, no separate USB cord)
  8. billyk

billyk New Member

Thanks Smeech!
  9. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

The Motorola car charger I got with the Costco deal is rated at 950mA. The part number is SPN5400A.
  10. RacingTiger03

RacingTiger03 New Member

I can't comment on the car charger, but the wall charger from my OG would NOT charge the bionic. It just sustained charge already there. 3 hours of charging netted me about a 10% boost, after which I swapped out for the charger that came with the bionic. I had an aftermarket charger at work (for the droid1), however, and it charges the bionic just as well as the charger it came with.
  11. billyk

billyk New Member

Interesting.

Do both the OG and new Bionic chargers have the same amperage values on them?
  12. Smeech

Smeech New Member

The OGD USB AC adapter is the same. Interestingly enough the Micro USB cable I use made a difference. The hardwired wall adapter is rated 0.1v less, same amperage. I had a problem with it registering charge but unplugging and plugging back in worked for me.
  13. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

The charger/USB question answer seams to be "mileage may vary". There is another thread where people complain that their Bionic will not charge/transfer data except with the USB supplied in the box.

My Bionic will charge/transfer data on the supplied charger/USB, my OGD chargerUSB, and my ancient LG EnV charger. It will charge in the car on my OGD charger and one I bought from Radio Shak
  14. showtime2k

showtime2k New Member

I had the car charger for my OG that Verizon gave to me when I got it. When I upgraded to the Bionic I used it and it worked for about 3 days. After that it wouldn't charge the Bionic at all, but it would still charge my OG. I had to end up going to verizon and just getting a new charger and since then it has been charging in the car with no issues.

So if you have one of the older chargers it may work for a while.
Search tags for this page

using s4 charger for bionic