Odd battery behavior after Advanced Calling update

Beer

Reaction score
I installed the update last night and am getting some strange battery behavior. I charged it overnight to 100% on a VZ wireless charging dock and took it off when I woke up around 5. By 7 it was down to 80%. I plugged it into the Turbo Chager, turned it off, and in less thann 15 min it was back to 100%. At 9 it's down to 63%. After 10 minutes of charging on a standard charger it's back up to 100%.I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing this. It's like he battery drains at unusual speed but then charges super fast as well.

-Beer

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
My phone has been up for 2 hrs. after a overnight wall charger ( not Turbo's ) and I have done some web stuff on it and the Batt. is @ 94% with screen using 39% Cell Stand by 15% Chrome 7% and all others less than 6%.
It was working slow after the update however recovered in about 1 hour of using it last Eve.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Do a hard reset and it will probably clear it up. It is the app just not functioning right. Battery is actually fine.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Those wireless charging docks can cause this with the Turbo. Some users also have that problem with car chargers as well.

OP
Beer

Beer

Reaction score
I've done the hard reset and I think it's acting normal but can't quite confirm. I'm thinking about draining it down to zero over the next day or so to recalibrate it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The suggested way to calibrate the turbo is different than any other droid.. Motorola suggests plugging the turbo in to its supplied turbo charger.. Allow it to charge to 100% and leave it on charge for an hour or so after its reached full charge..

I'm not the resident battery expert.. But this is what's suggested by moto.. @FoxKat may have a different opinion.. And he is the resident battery guru..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The Turbo is definitely a different animal. The reason they suggest leaving it on the Turbo charger for an hour after it hits 100% is because since it charges at an increase rate, Lithium Ion batteries (as most other rechargeable batteries), will actually "relax" after charging stops and voltages will drop slightly. I've witnessed this myself because I've actually taking the phone off the turbocharger immediately after it hit 100 percent, and in about 2 minutes it was already down to 98 percent which was a clear indication that it really hadn't reached its full saturation of 100 percent, but that the voltages had peaked at a level which indicated 100 percent charged in error.

This is also the reason why turbocharging won't kick in at higher battery levels, but instead it charges that the lower rates at those higher battery levels. And at the end of the charging cycle, it goes into a trickle charge mode to top off the battery.

So by leaving it on the charger for at least an hour after charging stops, it gives the charging circuit time enough to recognize the laxed voltage and start the trickle charging process up at least one more time to bring the voltage is up to peak. It's that second cycle with the trickle charge in that last hour that basically sets the flag for a fully charged battery and from then on the charging circuit and metering circuit knows what a full battery looks like.

If instead, you interrupted the charging process before the battery was full, it could fool the metering circuit into thinking the battery was full. This is more likely with the turbocharger then with other types of Chargers because the turbocharger pushes the voltages up very quickly, and by its own design is built to increase your battery power and shorter charge cycles such as 8 hours of life in 15 minutes of charging. That can cause the meter to be fooled into thinking that the battery is full. This would not be a problem for the typical trickle charger as we're used to with all of our previous phones.

I'm not sure why they didn't suggest going through a full cycle from charge to discharge in back to charge again, because that is the generally accepted way to do things according to battery University, probably the most knowledgeable company in the industry for rechargeable batteries also known as Cadex.

I guess time will tell whether or not it requires a full charge discharge and recharge to set the proper flags but I would error on the side of caution myself and do it the old fashion way as I've described so many times before. It certainly can't hurt to do this process as a three-step rather than as 94lt1 alluded to as a one-step. Since you're going to use the phone after full charging once anyway, there's really no harm in doing a full charge again the second time around.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I fully discharge for the first week of usage. It's habitual and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, but I am almost above 6 hours OST after a week on my new phone (Note Edge). A lot of people are struggling to get 4 hours OST with the same device.

I also plan on disabling fast charging starting on Monday.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I fully discharge for the first week of usage. It's habitual and I'm not even sure if it makes a difference, but I am almost above 6 hours OST after a week on my new phone (Note Edge). A lot of people are struggling to get 4 hours OST with the same device.

I also plan on disabling fast charging starting on Monday.
On what phone? If a Turbo how are you going to disable?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Turbo is definitely a different animal. The reason they suggest leaving it on the Turbo charger for an hour after it hits 100% is because since it charges at an increase rate, Lithium Ion batteries (as most other rechargeable batteries), will actually "relax" after charging stops and voltages will drop slightly. I've witnessed this myself because I've actually taking the phone off the turbocharger immediately after it hit 100 percent, and in about 2 minutes it was already down to 98 percent which was a clear indication that it really hadn't reached its full saturation of 100 percent, but that the voltages had peaked at a level which indicated 100 percent charged in error.

This is also the reason why turbocharging won't kick in at higher battery levels, but instead it charges that the lower rates at those higher battery levels. And at the end of the charging cycle, it goes into a trickle charge mode to top off the battery.

So by leaving it on the charger for at least an hour after charging stops, it gives the charging circuit time enough to recognize the laxed voltage and start the trickle charging process up at least one more time to bring the voltage is up to peak. It's that second cycle with the trickle charge in that last hour that basically sets the flag for a fully charged battery and from then on the charging circuit and metering circuit knows what a full battery looks like.

If instead, you interrupted the charging process before the battery was full, it could fool the metering circuit into thinking the battery was full. This is more likely with the turbocharger then with other types of Chargers because the turbocharger pushes the voltages up very quickly, and by its own design is built to increase your battery power and shorter charge cycles such as 8 hours of life in 15 minutes of charging. That can cause the meter to be fooled into thinking that the battery is full. This would not be a problem for the typical trickle charger as we're used to with all of our previous phones.

I'm not sure why they didn't suggest going through a full cycle from charge to discharge in back to charge again, because that is the generally accepted way to do things according to battery University, probably the most knowledgeable company in the industry for rechargeable batteries also known as Cadex.

I guess time will tell whether or not it requires a full charge discharge and recharge to set the proper flags but I would error on the side of caution myself and do it the old fashion way as I've described so many times before. It certainly can't hurt to do this process as a three-step rather than as 94lt1 alluded to as a one-step. Since you're going to use the phone after full charging once anyway, there's really no harm in doing a full charge again the second time around.
To use a word picture think of a box being filled. Hot charging looks like it's being filled from the outer edges inward, causing the meter to be incorrect because the box isn't really full. Slower charging would be like filling the box from the center outward, which the meter is calibrated to read. After a turbo charge the meter, erroneously, sees the battery as full but on a follow up read sees the actual fill state as not being full because the stuff on the outer edges flowed to the center, leaving the outer edges empty.
It's why those old car chargers on dumbphones looked like they filled your battery in like 15 minutes from empty but your phone died again half an hour after removing the plug.
I'm not real high on the fast charge thing because it starts a second charge cycle above 80%, a no no for maximum long term battery health and like Ollie have mine turned off.
Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Well I can see your point and would try turning off my T Bo's fast charge if I could however if it can be done it's beyond my skill level :) so I have been using my old wall chargers and get a good amount of use on a charge ( I like the old chargers because on the cord length ). Good advise from all and thanks.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well I can see your point and would try turning off my T Bo's fast charge if I could however if it can be done it's beyond my skill level :) so I have been using my old wall chargers and get a good amount of use on a charge ( I like the old chargers because on the cord length ). Good advise from all and thanks.

So the Turbo doesn't have the option then?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So the Turbo doesn't have the option then?
No.. The turbo will slow charge with older chargers and will only rapid charge with the turbo charger.. But that even slows down as the battery gets fuller..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No.. The turbo will slow charge with older chargers and will only rapid charge with the turbo charger.. But that even slows down as the battery gets fuller..
Correct, and there is no way to prevent turbo charging with the turbo charger if the battery levels are low enough for turbo charging to be activated. The only way to avoid turbo charging is to use a non-turbo charger such as an older charger adapter or a standard USB port on a computer device.