I'm having an issue with my phones charge / battery

Onecooldude123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy exhibit 4G
As of Wednesday my phone has has weird battery behaviors. First it would only charge if I had the phone in a certain position. On top of that as of Wednesday night I turned it off to charge while turned off. Before I slept it was 100%. When I woke up it was at 75 %. Thursday I held it in the needed charging position until it was fully charged. I then unplugged it and turned it off. When I woke up and turned it on it was at 72% despite it being turned off at 100. The battery still lasts as long as it did before with normal use but for some reason it loses battery life when turned off and not charging. It also only happens overnight. It never loses power when turned off in the day. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy exhibit 4G from metro pcs and I've had it since July 2014 without issue until Wednesday. Any knowledge on why this happens and how to solve?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds as if there may be a problem with the charging port itself. I would try taking it to a repair shop to see if it can be repaired.

OP
O

Onecooldude123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It sounds as if there may be a problem with the charging port itself. I would try taking it to a repair shop to see if it can be repaired.
Hm hopefully not though because I'm a teen and my pare parents aren't keen on sending things to repair. I was hoping it would just be like buy a new battery and new charger or factory reset. But it wouldn't surprise me. My headphones port is also screwed up so much that only the left side of headphones or earbuds produce sounds

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
A new charger or at least the cable, may work but because it will only charge in a specific position I have my doubts.

OP
O

Onecooldude123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
A new charger or at least the cable, may work but because it will only charge in a specific position I have my doubts.
so would a new battery be more likely, or is it something that isnt easy to fix? it never loses poweri f charging while turned on, only if its turned off overnight or charging while turned off

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with leeshor's assesment. My Galaxy S3 did the exact same thing when my charging port started going bad. I had to position it just right in order for it to charge correctly. When this first started happening to my device a different cable worked better for awhile, but it eventually stopped worked regardless of the various cables I used, and charging it wirelessly was what worked great after this happened.
Good luck @Onecooldude123 & welcome to the forum!

As for your headphone jack, mine did the same thing. Using a different pair of earbuds worked for me. (Which was odd because the earbuds worked great in every other device) Give that a try first...

S5 tap'n

Last edited:
OP
O

Onecooldude123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree with leeshor's assesment. My Galaxy S3 did the exact same thing when my charging port started going bad. I had to position it just right in order for it to charge correctly. When this first started happening to my device a different cable worked better for awhile, but it eventually stopped worked regardless of the various cables I used and I eventually resorted to charging it wirelessly.
Good luck @Onecooldude123 & welcome to the forum!

S5 tap'n
hm, guess ill have to see if there are any repair shops around where i live. How would the charging port being made make the better drain when turned off only overnight?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, that's a strange one.....sorry I don't really have an answer for this one. You might try removing the battery for 10 minutes then replace and monitor it to see if that particular problem persists.
Good news is, an OEM replacement battery for this device should only run about 10 bucks so it's worth a try if by chance your battery is going bad as well.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try letting it drain down completely, recharge to see if it's a calibration bug . Sometimes the calibration can get way off and a total drain/charge brings it back to the correct readings.
As far as headphone jack, have you tried blowing it out? Also try blowing air into the charging jack as well. If you carry your phone in your pocket lint can get up into the ports, wreaking havoc until blown out with a strong breath , canned air or low pressure compressed air.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6