OCCASIONAL Very poor battery life. Why? Screenshots included.

prowler85

Reaction score
What would be considered exceptionally high for keep awake time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I would say anything above 20% of total time off battery is approaching excessive. Normal is probably around 10m for every hour (about 15%). The OP is around 30%, which is (imo) exceptionally high. Don't know this for a fact, but that's where my phone is at now since I'ver resolved the issue.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
The culprit for me has always been when it is trying to acquire a signal. as with the TBolt if the GN is switching between 3G/4G all the time, that will kill the battery. If I leave mobile data off, the phone lasts forever. I really think this is just something VZW is going to have to figure out with all LTE phones.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
my keep awake time was on the order of 30-40% of time off battery when it was a problem. 3-6x the time for screen on (both iirc, it's been a few weeks)...so for a 8-12 hour battery run, it was 3-4ish hours. even if the screen on time was only 30-60 minutes. etc etc.

i played around with turning off NFC, background data, 3g only, etc. but now i dont worry about it. (and i live in a stupid place in terms of 3g/4g network....even though i'm in the middle of a metro area, there is a 4g dead zone that starts about a block to the east of my house, which is made with concrete blocks (which are great at keeping cell signals out)....needless to say, i bounce from 3 to 4g all the time...

steveil

Reaction score
this makes a ton of sense, as it got a lot better for me (unrooted) when I re-installed screebl (screen time out app). b/c it aggressively turns the screen off when lying flat, i just set my phone down rather than bother with the physical button.

I am rooted but no rom yet. I am going to stop using the physical button to turn the screen off and see how it goes.
thanks

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck
[/FONT]

steveil

Reaction score
As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck

I do notice that Maps is using resources and I am not using maps so I'll disable it. Where do I find DRM Protected Content? Thanks