OBD ELM327 pairs but won't connect

crackenzag

Reaction score
Hey all. I purchased one of those Bluetooth OBD adapters on Ebay and when I try to connect to it with my droid updated to 2.1 I get a message that it is paired but not connected... And It won't work with any of the apps I got from the market I assume because it's not connected.

What is the difference between pairing and connecting and why am I having a connection problem?

I am not rooted and am running the factory ROM version 2.1

JimmyD

Reaction score
I can't help you, but I will watch this thread too, as I'm very interested in buying one of those bluetooth OBDII units as well.

I already have Torque downloaded from the market. I hope you post up your findings if you are able to figure out how to get the whole setup working!

Good luck with it!

OP
C

crackenzag

Reaction score
anybody got any info here? Even if it's not pertaining to the OBD adapter.

In general, what is the difference between being paired and actually being connected and how do I go from being only paired to being fully connected?

OP
C

crackenzag

Reaction score
I've been googling all frickin night and the info for this little "dongle" as it's called (seems a bit profane to me lol) is largely non existant.

has anybody had success pairing and connecting to this device with their droid? I'm trying to see if the problem is with the dongle or my phone. Either way, I'm frustrated as hell!! I know someone has some info out there!

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I just received the BT dongle off of eBay and have paired it with the Torque app as well as with other OBD programs. Everything just worked for me. No problems at all. I've connected it to my Chevy and my wife's Nissan. It not only shows trouble codes, but you can get real time info while driving. One of the comments on the app was from a pro tech who uses this at work and said it has more features then $300 readers.

I believe the "Paired but not connected" message is normal for the device. I read it on the developers site somewhere I'm sure. Check his forums.

Ian Hawkins

lukmech03

Reaction score
If your using the ELM 327 for the Torque app, you need to select that device in the Torque app before it will work. Open Torque, press the menu key, then "more": settings : device. It should display the name for the ELM, press it and done.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I searched for posts on these things, didn't come up with anything. I made a post looking for recommendations, but ended up doing some Google research and ordered one today on Amazon. We will see how it goes when it arrives

georgekale

Reaction score
I've been googling all frickin night and the info for this little "dongle" as it's called (seems a bit profane to me lol) is largely non existant.

has anybody had success pairing and connecting to this device with their droid? I'm trying to see if the problem is with the dongle or my phone. Either way, I'm frustrated as hell!! I know someone has some info out there!

I'll let you in on a little secret. That micro CD holds the answer to your pairing problem. The pairing code for my bluetooth is 6789, it was
I tried : 0000, 1111, 1234

Software Instruction .we suggest that you can use "scantool_net113win",if you think that this software isn't easy to use,
you can free to choose following software:EasyOBDII,OBD2Spy,ScanMaster-ELM.But them require lisence.
Bluetooth pairing code for: 6789
Let me know if that works.

takaburon

Reaction score
Hey all. I purchased one of those Bluetooth OBD adapters on Ebay and when I try to connect to it with my droid updated to 2.1 I get a message that it is paired but not connected... And It won't work with any of the apps I got from the market I assume because it's not connected.

What is the difference between pairing and connecting and why am I having a connection problem?

Try this. Start with the front page of Torque, opening menu > Setting > Choose Bluetooth Device > press the name of your obd interface, for example Vgate, mini, ELM327.
If this doesn't work, try using another phone. If it can't connect any phone, it is most likely that the interface is defective.

I got a defect on eBay. The symptom is that it is hard to connect, I need to open and close Torque many times to get connected. But soon it gets disconnected itself. It is better to get good ones.

jason073

Reaction score

I bought the ELM327 off of amazon (link here) and it worked fine. I connected using the code 1234 to my samsung galaxy and make sure you select the the adapter from the device option in the torque app. If you need help checkout the youtube video on how to connect.

Last edited:

tester1957

Reaction score
I had the same problem would pair with the phone but not connect with the app. I am finding that samsung blue tooth has a bug that torque cannot deal with. try powering down the phone then power it back up and connect to the elm327 device works here.

13lovecar14

Reaction score
ask technicial support

hi guys, for your case, OBD ELM327 pairs but won't connect may because of your wrong operation, so i suggest you ask the OBD ELM327 technicial support for the solution. if you dont have a technicial support, you can ask technicial support at this obd2 store, they will always give you the best answer. url is : ???? iPhone ipad iPod??WIFI ELM327 ??OBD2 ???????, hope my answer help you.

Ed Devlin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G3
I tried this and got connected to my ECU using a Samsung Galaxy.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kbmsystems.ecuaccesstester&hl=en

xDDz1Or95rvWiyVbPzioBz_Jltn7c7rwYiGm_unsbw7Xe7A2WxwxucrZpHOPlB9Ji2A=h900-rw

P

promo87

well,I guess the problem may be because of the ROM version 2.1 try looking over the pack in which Bluetooth OBD adapter came, they may have printed the version supported by the OBD device.