NVIDIA Drops Price of Shield to $300; Shipping June 27th

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 20, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Here is some welcome news for folks who pre-ordered or were simply considering purchasing the new NVIDIA Shield portable gaming device. They dropped the price from $349.99 to $299.99, and announced the official ship date of June 27th! How's that for great news to chase away the Thursday morning blahs?

Of course, the Shield obviously still has an uphill battle ahead of it. With the new Sony PS4 and Xbox One consoles set to hit retail shelves later this year, the Shield might be hard-pressed to compete for the average family's gaming dollar. Still, for folks who don't mind spending the money for a bunch of devices, or if you are only interested in the portability options afforded by the Shield, then this price drop is very good news. It's also pretty exciting to think we will be able to get one in just a week!

Here's NVIDIA's full presser,

Source: SHIELD Gets Final Touch Before Its Release ? a Better Price

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    This thing still pulls at my game strings. I want it for the steam streaming but I would have to upgrade my video card to a 600 series card (which isn't a bad thing, love me some component upgrading...) but I don't have the money for both. Plus, it looks so damn good!

3. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    I want one but it'll need to have some sort of onscreen button configuration software like Sixaxis has to emulate touchscreen presses with actual button presses.

Otherwise the amount of games you will be able to play on it will be rather limited. Unless Nvidia is already in partnership with game studios to create controller based Android games, then maybe things like Shield and the Ouya will really help push the Android gaming industry ahead of iOS.

4. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    I just recently made the jump from AMD to Nvidia and got a 660ti... now I really really want to get this just so I can stream my steam games and hopefully others in the future, when I'm not home.

decisions decisions.