NVIDIA Officially Unveils The Tegra-K1 Equipped Shield Tablet for $299

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 22, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It looks like all of our NVIDIA intel was true in one way or another. The company just officially took the wraps off their brand new Tegra-K1 equipped Shield tablet. The new gaming tablet/portable console device will ship in North America July 29th. It will hit Europe August 4, and other regions of the globe later this fall.

Before we jump into the nitty gritty of its specs and features, we also have pricing details. The Shield Tablet 16GB/Wi-Fi version will cost $299, and the 32GB/LTE model will sell for $399. Additionally, the optional Shield controller will cost $59.

Now for the juicy parts... here's the primary spec-list:
    • 8-inch Full HD IPS LCD display
    • Built-in stylus that works with Nvidia’s new DirectStylus 2 tech
    • Tegra K1 SoC - 192 Kepler-based GPU cores (with support for some desktop class graphics)
    • Quad-core Cortex A15 processor spinning at 2.2GHz
    • 2GB of RAM
    • Wi-Fi only version with 16GB of built-in storage, and an LTE-equipped version with 32GB of storage
    • Both feature an expansion card slot for up to 128GB of additional storage space
    That's not all though. This new tablet is more than just internals. NVIDIA have gone all-out by including what they claim are some "world's first" features for this super-gaming tablet. Here's a quote from their presser with the details,

It looks like this puppy is crammed full of awesome gaming features. For some folks, this might just be the an amazing step forward in portable gaming technology. Share your thoughts!
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Narsil likes this.
  2. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Here's the full press release,

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

ship date july 9?
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Fixed
  5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

NVIDIA claims this tab is 4K ready.. Got my doubts
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.....This looks very interesting (I'm in the market for a 7-8" tablet).

But because I always complain, why not 3gigs ram? Really interested in their stylus.

Also curious when, at least for tablets, we'll start seeing 2 sd slots (is that even possible in Android)? Although it looks like maybe we'll just have to wait for the 256gig cards to come out
  7. swc2001

swc2001 Active Member

Ok here comes the Troll!!! Everybody get out your pitch forks and torches!!
    I am not sure why this seems to be so "Revolutionary" I have been doing this for years now with the Sixaxis App and my Playstation 3 Control.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller
    I use it in Tandom with the "Classic boy" emulator app The Control also controls the whole Android device from the couch while you have it Mirrored to the TV.
    The Sixaxis also allows you to play games such as Modern Combat 3 and other Android games.
    So I guess this is not a new concept but rather Done in such a way that the Average user without a hacked phone or tablet can play in this manner. With the Troll of me put aside.... I actually think it is a very good thing. This is a new leap toward this being the "Norm" instead of the fringe power users. I believe this is the future of gaming. Watch out Microsoft, Sony, & Nintendo.
    Actually I hope they make their own game systems like this in the future. I do think the day of the traditional console is fading fast.
    dgstorm likes this.
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I don't know. The PS4 and XBox are comparably priced with far superior ram, a HD DvD and more storage.

The challenged will be how easy it is to port games, because Android will remain a distant 3rd place for installed base for some time, which is what matters to high-end developers.
  9. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

At that price, with those specs, there's no longer any real question which tablet will replace my TF101.

[​IMG]
  10. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Needs to be priced under $100 to compete with handhelds and consoles.
    Heck, for $250 I can get a laptop to game on.
Search tags for this page

tegra-k1 equipped shield tablet