1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

NVIDIA Shakes Up CES with New Project Shield Handheld Android Gaming Console

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just this morning, NVIDIA shared their new Tegra 4 mobile powerhouse chip at CES, and although this is a very exciting new development, it was not unexpected. In fact, we new (and shared) that it was coming out at CES several weeks ago. However, NVIDIA wasn't done sharing new tech. In fact, the second bit of news they shared turned out to be a huge bombshell.

Apparently, NVIDIA has been developing a new product called Project Shield that is a new Android-based handheld portable gaming console. This new portable gaming device includes a console-style controller with built-in speakers, a 5-inch flipping display powered by the new Tegra 4 processor, and can actually stream games to your HDTV wirelessly.

Additionally, it will come stock with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and supposedly provide up to 38 hours of gaming before needing to recharge the batteries. Lastly, the device goes a step further than that, and can actually be used to stream your PC games (provided they match certain specs) wirelessly to your HDTV, and this is all done through your PC's Steam account.

What can we say about this, but WOW?!? Here's a video and a press release with some more details,

2. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member

This looks like a great device. Has anyone heard how much this thing will cost
  3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

No details on that yet, but keep checking back. If we don't hear something soon, I am sure someone will. :)
  4. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member

The more I look into this device the more I want it. I am getting ready to have back surgery so I hope they start selling this thing soon. It would be perfect for me for the 3 days that I will be in the hospital. The only problem that I could think of with this device is that I love my 5.5 inch screen on my note 2. The 5 inch screen might seem small now.
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

That is kind of....awesome. I would totally get that for my kids before a Nintendo DS or PSP. The games are way cheaper, I have a ton of them already on my phone that could go on there and its a full on controller. Shoot, I want one!
  6. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member