NTT DoCoMo To Launch World's Lightest Android Tablet in Japan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nec-mediastabul.jpeg

Although there is no shortage of cool gadgets here in the U.S., it certainly seems like sometimes Japan gets some pretty intriguing exclusives. NTT DoCoMo just announced that they will begin selling the world's lightest Android tablet. Their svelt little 7-inch tablet is called the Medias Tab UL N08-D and is built by NEC. The tablet weighs a minuscule 249 grams. To put that in perspective, the Kindle Fire HD weighs 400 g and the Nexus 7 weighs 345 g. Needless to say, the tablet is also pretty thin, coming in at a slender 7.9mm thickness. The tablet is able to achieve this design because it uses a special carbon fiber material that is normally used in aircraft construction. Interestingly, despite the light construction, the tablet isn't "light" on specs, and actually packs some decent firepower. Here's a breakdown,
  • 1.5 GHz dual-core processor
  • 7-inch 1280 x 800 LCD display
  • 8 megapixel Exmore R back-lit camera plus secondary 2 megapixel shooter on the front
  • 3100 mAh battery
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 75 Mbps downlink
The super-light tab also includes some unique software features apparently. It has a web browser that lets you actively view two tabs at the same time, and an "HD haptics" vibration feedback mechanism that's applied to just about every on-screen element.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this imported to the States?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidCentral

TayDee

Reaction score
Depending on the price, I would maybe like to see it imported.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Uh oh, I know this is slightly OT, but I just got the creepiest feeling. PLEASE tell me the iPad mini doesn't end up looking like this. It would stop the success of 7" Android tablets (Fire, Nexus 7, etc.) dead in their tracks. :blink:

-Mat

TayDee

Reaction score
Uh oh, I know this is slightly OT, but I just got the creepiest feeling. PLEASE tell me the iPad mini doesn't end up looking like this. It would stop the success of 7" Android tablets (Fire, Nexus 7, etc.) dead in their tracks. :blink:

-Mat

How will it stop the success? We are starting to see good quality Android tablets, and not everyone wants to buy an Apple related product so I don't see it happening.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How will it stop the success? We are starting to see good quality Android tablets, and not everyone wants to buy an Apple related product so I don't see it happening.
Then I guess you missed the "iPhone 5 SMASHES all phone sales records" news, e.g., AT&T: 'Most successful' iPhone 5 launch smashes sales records | Apple - CNET News :happy3:

I'm an Android guy through and through, but there is no marketing machine anywhere in the Android world that comes close to what Apple can do. If they produce a 7" tablet, a huge chunk of the market will shift in that direction.

EDIT: I'm not saying "that's good" or "people are informed shoppers" (anything but) -- just pessimistically noting that it takes an enormously rational mind to respect what is available from the Android side of the fence while ignoring the marketing hype, and I'm not nearly confident the "average tablet owner" is capable of that.

-Matt

Last edited: