Now that we have them, how will use it ?

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
In the hope that this ole boy, and others, might discover new ways to use these killer phones,
How bout sharing how you will use it ?

What are your must have apps, what do you use the phone for ?

Things you've discovered in Android maybe not everyone is aware of ?

Use mobile phone for normal stuff, talk, text, surf, but would like to get some input/advice on syntax in trying to batch file xcopy from pc to mobile phone sd card for backup and mobility purposes. Currently use batch files for automatic backup between pcs on network and disks and thumb drives.

Can you help.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No reason you cant use your batch files on a PC to copy from/to the phone. As long as the phone is set to File Transfer in USB settings when connected.

Welcome to the Forum!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Use mobile phone for normal stuff, talk, text, surf, but would like to get some input/advice on syntax in trying to batch file xcopy from pc to mobile phone sd card for backup and mobility purposes. Currently use batch files for automatic backup between pcs on network and disks and thumb drives.

Can you help.
Sure you can do that. What does your batch file currently look like?

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
No reason you cant use your batch files on a PC to copy from/to the phone. As long as the phone is set to File Transfer in USB settings when connected.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the welcome. Hope I can contribute.

I use Windows 10, and the File Explorer (old Windows Explorer) very heavily.

My problem is finding the correct syntax for the device name of the phone in the batch file. I can copy manually between the pc and phone through File Explorer. No problem there. My only problem is identifying the mobile device name for the batch file.

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
Sure you can do that. What does your batch file currently look like?

Here is a test file I created to figure out how to do it. I get path not found with it.

echo %date% %time% >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
echo d leon >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\hvsc computer\"mark's leon"\"sd card"\data\hvsc /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt

My phone shows up in File Explorer as Mark's Leon (LG Leon). Where the "computer\"mark's leon" is, I have tried something like dev:"\ ..., but still getting errors.

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
Here is part of my backup file that works, but it only copies between hard disks and thumb drives, devices that have a drive letter associated.

echo spec >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\games\*.* d:\data\webs\mark7atl\spec\games /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\hvsc\*.* d:\data\webs\mark7atl\spec\hvsc /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\misc\*.* d:\data\webs\mark7atl\spec\misc /c /d /h /i /r /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\spiritual\*.* d:\data\webs\mark7atl\spec\spiritual /c /d /h /i /r /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\sports\*.* d:\data\webs\mark7atl\spec\sports /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
echo data >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data d:\backup\mark\data /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt

echo downloads >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\downloads d:\backup\mark\downloads /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Here is a test file I created to figure out how to do it. I get path not found with it.

echo d leon >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt
xcopy d:\data\hvsc computer\"mark's leon"\"sd card"\data\hvsc /c /d /h /i /r /s /y >> d:\data\misc\bu.txt

My phone shows up in File Explorer as Mark's Leon (LG Leon). Where the "computer\"mark's leon" is, I have tried something like dev:"\ ..., but still getting errors.
Are you trying to backup files or create a list of file names into bu.txt?

To transfer files you'll need to use ADB.

Example:

Adb Devices
adb pull /sdcard/camera c:\backup_camera\

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
Have LG Leon phone, 4G, on Lollipop.

Several features I like.

Sync in Firefox. Watched YouTube video on pc, went to bed, called up YouTube on my phone, video picked up right where I left it.

Love navigation. Works much better on 4G than it did on my 3G phone. It sends me notification of when I need to leave home to make it to an appointment set up in Calendar.

After upgrade from 3G to 4G, use banking app to get access to my financial info. Works great.

4G is much better than 3G. More like a computer.

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
Are you trying to backup files or create a list of file names into bu.txt?

To transfer files you'll need to use ADB.

Example:

Adb Devices
adb pull /sdcard/camera c:\backup_camera\

Not familiar with Adb, but will try to figure it out. Thanks

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's the only way via batch file to get files. There are a bunch of applications that do backups, like you're looking for not using Command Prompt. Example: Android All In One Toolkit | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

I can write you a batch file but it won't act like what you're trying to do. And you'll need to have the Android SDK installed on your phone, with USB Debugging on.

FYI - You're posting in the Nexus 6P sub-forums :)

mark7atl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Leon
It's the only way via batch file to get files. There are a bunch of applications that do backups, like you're looking for not using Command Prompt. Example: Android All In One Toolkit | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

I can write you a batch file but it won't act like what you're trying to do. And you'll need to have the Android SDK installed on your phone, with USB Debugging on.

FYI - You're posting in the Nexus 6P sub-forums :)

Sorry about posting in the wrong sub-forum. I didn't search long enough to find the correct forum.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
When I get home tonight I'll try a bit of an experiment. Since you can't identify the phone with a UNC or Drive Letter, might be able to have the .bat file on the phones internal storage an write to a drive\path on the host PC ?

Just a thought, I'll try and see if it works tonight.