Now that we have them, how will use it ?

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
In the hope that this ole boy, and others, might discover new ways to use these killer phones,
How bout sharing how you will use it ?

What are your must have apps, what do you use the phone for ?

Things you've discovered in Android maybe not everyone is aware of ?

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Me I'm very boring, set this phone up the same way as the old Note and use it the same way.

For me the obvious:
1) Text, Talk, Facebook, Forum.
2) Read (Kindle)
3) Listen to music (Google Music Player)
4) Take pics of motorcycles & Grandkids
5) Get Lost & Found - Google Maps with Offline maps!

For me the absolute must have apps
1) AdAway
2) DropBox
3) YAATA SMS
4) SuperUser
5) Root Explorer
6) Nova Prime
8) QuickPik (old version before it got sold)

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it in my nightstand and never look at it again.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Not all of us have them yet, buddy. :/
Thought ya might not be happy 'bout this one, did it anyway ;)

You'll be amongst the proud owners soon 'nough, well maybe not for you but all things are relative.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll use it much like I use my Note 4 currently.

-Facebook
-Twitter
-Tapatalk
-Google Now. I've been relying on it more for articles that I might be interested in and have actually stopped my feed reader's auto updating.
-Random games that I get all excited about for a week or two and then abandon.

I'm pretty boring too. As I've said elsewhere, there's not really anything that requires root that I feel like I HAVE to have, so I'll just be running it stock, knowing that I can unlock it and tinker if I choose to do so later.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's quite impressive how Google had improved their apps. They've become the goto apps for me with a couple of notable exceptions.

Photos suck, I like quickpik, I haven't tried they're messenger for sms. But may have to on Fi, not sure about that since I don't have the sim yet.

I do like mucking about with the phone though, so root is a big deal to me.

That and backups. Nandroid and Titanium keep me out of trouble

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm here!!!

Apps I use daily:

Tapatalk
Spotify(soon to be replaced with GPM)
Hangouts
Messenger for SMS/MMS. Now that I have a phone that it works with again, I dropped Textra
Runkeeper
Waze

I'm looking for a gallery app. This photos thing isn't the same ole gallery I used to have,. Why does every app want to sync pictures? Google Drive, Photos, etc.

This looks like a great daily driver phone. Can't wait to go beat it up on the trails.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have used QuickPik for years, unfortunately it was sold and now they try to suck you into the "cloud" too.

I have the .apk for that last version before they sold it. if you want it. Since its a free app, I see no reason not to share

P.S.- Congrats on finally getting yours and liberating her so quickly!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I actually love that Photos syncs with the cloud. I have access to all of the same pictures on any device and don't have to worry about local storage space being overwhelmed with snapshots. The search and auto-tag is great and I can't wait for them to add the official album sharing feature where others can upload pictures to a shared album with you.

I've been using Messenger for texting for a week or so now. Figured it'd be the default app on the Nexus, so I thought I'd give it a more fair chance than I previously did. One thing that Hangouts had over it was the android wear support, where you could pull up a conversation on the watch without having to wait for a response or new message from someone. As much as I wanted that feature and was excited that they were adding it, I didn't really use it that much, so I don't miss it.

I also forgot to list Google Play Music. The wife's had my SiriusXM subscription since I got my truck in May and gave her the car, so I've been streaming GPM ever since when in the truck. Use it daily.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Photos is Google's cloud sync correct? I didn't like the TOS last time I read them, they can use any photo or document as their own if they choose to. I use Dropbox for all my camera syncing. Maybe I'll look at Photos again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Photos is Google's cloud sync correct? I didn't like the TOS last time I read them, they can use any photo or document as their own if they choose to. I use Dropbox for all my camera syncing. Maybe I'll look at Photos again.
I don't keep nudes there, so I'm not really worried about it. Haha!

I also use OneDrive to back them up. I figure that way I'm covered. 2 services that back them all up when I'm on wifi and charging. Then, I tend to share the ones I really like on Facebook or other social sites, so those pictures are backed up in at least a 3rd place.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't keep nudes there, so I'm not really worried about it. Haha!

I also use OneDrive to back them up. I figure that way I'm covered. 2 services that back them all up when I'm on wifi and charging. Then, I tend to share the ones I really like on Facebook or other social sites, so those pictures are backed up in at least a 3rd place.
I don't keep noods anywhere. But I do keep ideas and app development stuff in an encrypted file on Google. Not like it's the end of the world stuff or going to change how we live today but there are still business plans and stuff. I'd rather not have everyone peering into them.