notification bar/app management question

pir8pt

Reaction score
There are always app icons in my notification bar which I assume means that they are running. How do I change strings or get them to stop? They are killing my battery. I have an app killer and juice defender app bit they are not solving the problem. Please help. Thanks!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First off get rid of the task killer cause that's killing your battery too. What apps are in the bar?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
P

pir8pt

Reaction score
That sucks about the task killer. I was told that was the first thing I should add. Oh well. The other ones that are up there, I would like to keep, but don't want them constantly running. They are: advanced task killer, mobile lookout, the weather channel, and cardiovascular trainer. Thanks!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That sucks about the task killer. I was told that was the first thing I should add. Oh well. The other ones that are up there, I would like to keep, but don't want them constantly running. They are: advanced task killer, mobile lookout, the weather channel, and cardiovascular trainer. Thanks!

Ya a lot of people are subscribed to the myth of task killers but android has its own proccess for killing apps. So that makes task killers unnecessary and resource wasting.

Anyway lookout isn't constantly running it just put its logo in the status bar for you to know that its there. You can remove this from the settings in lookout. And as a side note if you are only using lookout for anti virus then you can get rid of that too as there is no need to worry about viruses on linux/android.

OP
P

pir8pt

Reaction score
Cool. I'll drop the task killer. I use the lookout to find my phone. Sometimes the kids get a hold of it and it gets put under couch cushions etc....

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh and I just checked out the weather channel app and I don't think having that icon in your status bar is ready anything to worry about as it doesn't necessarily indicate that the app is running in the background.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just about any app has a "show notification" in its settings. Just set it to off for the ones you don't want showing up.

wified from a monolith using a slider keypad

E

Emtronics

I agree 100% about getting rid of the task killer. Verizon Rep installed it on my phone before she even handed it to me. I removed it as soon as I left the store. You don't need it. As for apps in the bar, you can drag the bar down to open it and press the "CLEAR" button. The weather app just shows the current temp and is not running unless it is updating which you can set in the weather app options.

bthpckrs

Reaction score
I took the lookout icon off by accident. Any idea how to put it back? :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go in to settings in lookout and there should be an otion for notifications.

bthpckrs

Reaction score
That's what I thought as well, but I couldn't find one. I'm not saying that there's not one there, but I didn't see it. I did however get it back on the old handy reboot :). Thanks so much for your quick reply. This thing is giving me trouble for the first time ever. I haven't hardly added anything to it but one game, google and yahoo messenger. I added a few songs from the mp3 application that came on the phone and now its freezing. Oh I lied I added 1 yes only 1 ringtone also. I am hoping I will not have an expensive regret for replacing my BBerry. I have friends and family that are waiting my trial run before they themselves put their BBerrys away. I don't know much about the techno end of computers but you would think I should have plenty of room still left on this thing.

kat2800

Reaction score
I cannot find my notification bar anymore. I got the phone a week ago and have done all the updates needed etc. I turned it on one day and there is not bar anymore. So I cannot see my battery level, reception, alerts, etc and cannot drag the screen down to see the details. Any idea how to get it back?