Not staying connected to data network

DROID11

Reaction score
While I have heard the complaint from many many people about the bolt not staying connected to the data network (when in a 4g area) I haven't experienced it other than at work until now. Where I work it is a marginal coverage area, so I just use wifi. Where I live however I always used to be constantly connected to 4G. Also, my commute home from work I was always connected to 4G. Until the past week that is. I haven't added or updated any apps that may be causing this. I have hit the 7+ gb mark of data usage for the month and I'm kinda thinking I'm getting throttled but not sure. I really don't want to have to do a factory data wipe because that's such a huge hassle. I don't think any of the apps that are supposed to keep data connectivity do anything but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

flyian

Reaction score
I've had a Thunderbolt for about two weeks now and had the same problem. The "mobile network" setting kept showing "connection failed." I have unlimited data, so knew that was not the problem. I also noticed I was no longer getting 3G or 4G at the top of the display.

Verizon Tech Support suggested I remove the battery for 20-30 seconds. This I did, after shutting the phone off first, and it worked great!

OP
D

DROID11

Reaction score
I take the battery out for 20-30 seconds several times a day to swap from battery to battery. That's a temporary fix at best. Little too much of a hassle to do that a bunch times a day just to get data connectivity. There's no point of having lightning fast internet if you have to wait 3-5 minutes total (battery pull and start up) to use it. Same goes with turning all connections off and back on. If that would fix the problem for an entire day it'd be great but it only fixes it for a very short span of time.
I've had the bolt since a week or 2 after launch and never had this problem til now. I traveled outside of my home area (with 4g Lte) to another area that has LTE connectivity and I almost wonder if that has something to do with it.
I'm not too upset with it I just find it odd that I never did that until now. Rather not have to deal with a clnr, but maybe if I go through enough of those ill get the bionic or something different :/. I don't want to have to do that, but I have heard of so many issues with the clnr for the bolt in particular that I'm scared to even do the warranty replacement.

MadeForJesus

Reaction score
I have the same problem. At my house I always had constant 4g service, now never. Most of the time no data connection. Sometimes even 1x. I am on my first replacement and I still have the exact problem. Also I am getting double texts when receiving. Some texts I never even get.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

mkny24

Reaction score
Losing Data Connection

I have the same problem. At my house I always had constant 4g service, now never. Most of the time no data connection. Sometimes even 1x. I am on my first replacement and I still have the exact problem. Also I am getting double texts when receiving. Some texts I never even get.

I have been losing data connection multiple times an hour. I put the mobile network widget on my home screen and when i turn mobile network off then back on it reconnects instantly to 4g. I am in nyc a strong 4g area. It has been happening a lot more lately, used to be a couple times a day now all the time. I shouldnt have to use the widget every 10 minutes. used it twice while typing this.....

rbw62

Reaction score
I have same problem. I live in Atlanta area, 4G area, been on 4G for 5 months, until about a week back. Went to VZW store, no help, called tech support last Friday, went thru the usual pull battery, pull sim, airplane mode, then he says I live on edge of 4G network....had me do factory reset, nothing worked. Called tech today, he said VZW lost a tower to competition, now that makes sense, but I should be still picking 4G up, within 2 miles of other tower, they r shipping.g new phone today...

rbw62

Reaction score
Update, just received new phone, guess what? It connects to 4G and stays. The tech support at VZW is lacking to say the least. One day I will find someone in tech support who knows more than I do.....

eldub

Reaction score
did they ship you a new phone or a refurbished (certified like new) phone? Did you get it from manufacturer warranty or the warranty you have to pay for? If Verizon sent you a brand new phone i'm curious how you pulled that off. I have been having the same issue but am reluctant to replace my phone with a refurb.

Jeninden

Reaction score
I have had it with Verizon and this problem. I've jumped through all their dumb troubleshooting steps that seem to be really intended as a distraction from a problem Verizon won't admit they have with these phones. I'm infuriated with the amount of time I have wasted with this problem (connection failed, no 4G, sometimes not even 3G). The last person I talked to said that it could be any one of my adroid applications installed on the phone that is knocking the data connection off. I'm all for the free open market of android, but if Verizon can't guarantee their phones will work the way they should - how can they market them as phones intended to have these applications installed on? They even put the Android market right on the main page of the phone. I was never told that if I installed a certain (unknown by Verizon) application on the phone, I may not get the services I pay for. This is irresponsible and fraudulent Verizon. All Verizon Thunderbolt owners afflicted with this problem - complain to the FCC and the Attorney general in your state at: How To Complain about your Wireless Service. Maybe if enough of us complain something will change. If the link doesn't work - google "how to complain about Verizon wireless."

Oh and just an additional rambling... I was told that my phone "build version" was "outdated" but then when a software update search was done, nothing was found. The rep seemed confused, but then said "oh, you just have to wait for them to roll it out to your phone." The fact that my phone build version is out of date and my phone is not working right seem to be connected. What crappy customer service. I think they know about this problem, but can't figure out how to fix it. Irresponsible.

rbw62

Reaction score
Make them give you a new phone, I did and problem solved. It is not any of the issues you were told, the phone has a defect. Verizon is well aware of the THE issue with 4g.

BucksBroke

Reaction score
I am gonna call tech support tomorrow. Tried what seems to work for everyone else to no avail. Stuck on 1x. This will be replacement number 2 because of botched OTA and other issues. Hope the big V is taking notes and will remember our struggles come upgrade time.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

georgek

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with losing data in a 4g area. It happens so often that it makes using data impossible. 3g works fine. Took the battery out and restarted the phone and still the same problem. Seems to be getting worse lately. It's frustrating. Can't wait until I'm able to upgrade so I can get rid of this phone.

BucksBroke

Reaction score
My 3G is back. Only thing I know I did was to go out and query for the new OTA to see if available and looks like that got my phone back on the network. No OTA, after a few data toggles, went to 3g and been there all afternoon.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Charged

Reaction score
I have GB and my phone is still garbage with jumping to 3G or 1X when I can see the Verizon 4g tower from my house. I still have to constantly turn mobile data on and off to get an internet connection through my computer (via mobile hotspot). I've even had to reboot my phone because mobile hotspot would refuse to acknowledge that I had even clicked on it.