Not happy with GPS service and other

blacknight1

Reaction score
So I bought this phone thinking its backed by Verizon and the end all situation to a iPhone and bad at&t service. However I get lowsy signal in my house and I'm thinking its just the phone. I can't get the GPS to find me accurately even with VZW location services on. Its just one headache after another with 2.1 and no end in sight.

Has anyone experienced a problem when typing where it freezes and you can type but only see it if you wait?

Very unsatisfied and ready to take this back to Verizon and wait for the the nexus S dual core to come out. This phone can't even give me directions its rediculous!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Hymizzle

Reaction score
Im having excellent reception with my phone. Try updating your roaming capabilities. Download GPS Status and Tools from the market. Run the app with Maps and your location should be spot on. Until Froyo 2.2 and another mainentance update comes out this is the best way. Also look at Z4root from the market, its a one click step to rooting your phone.

Scott1974

Reaction score
The GPS on the Fascinate is hit or miss at best. I was in Orlando this past week and was able to use it to get around and it worked great. It didn't lock on quickly, but once it did, it was just as reliable as a stand alone GPS unit. I'm hoping that once 2.2 is released (crossing my fingers that it happens sooner rather than later), that the GPS issue and reception issues will be resolved... along with freezing up at times, lagging between screens, etc.....

OP
B

blacknight1

Reaction score
OK all good points but who is to say that when froyo is released it will be any better than 2.1?

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Poor GPS performance

There are two methods to at least try to fix the GPS performance on the Fascinate, first is fasterfix Fasterfix and the other is GPS Booster GPS Booster - Android app on AppBrain.

I am using the JT1134 Clean ROM v0.4 on my Fascinate (which includes a GPS fix). The GPS now locks within seconds, when before it would take 5-10 minutes (not cool if you are lost).

-Mike

powell730

Reaction score
Gps status was the fix for my gps problems. I was waiting ten minutes to get a lock until I downloaded gps status. I also get lousy reception wherever I'm at however, the call never seems to be choppy or broken. This fact that the signal was getting a bar or two used to bother me because I have ocd :) but I have since learned that it doesn't matter on this phone cuz I've never lost a call. Try gps status tho, I think you'll find that it will fix your main concern.

bL33d

Reaction score
I am useing the new dj05 leaked update which fixes a ton of issues includeing GPS lock which is instant now. and button backlights it also uses a updated baseband.

my signal seems alittle better though it was never that bad IMO.

powell730

Reaction score
Do you need to be rooted in order to install that update?

shdowman

Reaction score
Do you need to be rooted in order to install that update?

If you want it early, you'll have to dig for it (its still in testing) It'll be out in a few weeks though as an OTA.

OP
B

blacknight1

Reaction score
So I went in today to cancel and they decided to send me a network extender for free and I will switch phones if I get good service in the house. Otherwise I'm done with vzw

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I went in today to cancel and they decided to send me a network extender for free and I will switch phones if I get good service in the house. Otherwise I'm done with vzw

A network extender might help you with reception, but it will not help with the GPS issue.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct! Also doesn't support 3G (data), just 1X (voice and SMS). Are you running Bing or did you install Google Maps from the market?

A network extender might help you with reception, but it will not help with the GPS issue.

DroidForums junkie!