Not as disappointed as before.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DebDroid, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TomN

TomN Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. adam8ch

adam8ch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did a bit of Googleing. It seems chompSMS and texteasy are both apps you can find in the Marketplace that will allow you to message groups. You may have to edit your Groups through Gmail and not on your phone. I never txt groups of people. I use e-mail for that ;).

Here's the chompSMS site detailing group messaging: http://www.chompsms.com/main/more_features#quick-pick-contacts-n-groups

If you still have your droid, heres the QR code:
    [​IMG]

#14 adam8ch, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. xwera43

xwera43 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. TomN

TomN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just installed it to test and I have to admit that it's very nice!

5. samsung rogue user

Ratings:
    +0
    uhhh.... installed aps for texting and this phone is untouchable. Compared it side by side to my boss' Iphone.... I still like the droid. Sorry.. aps will be available as time goes on and makes this device better.

6. Mit

Mit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same thing happen all the time. If you slide open the keyboard, your phone options will come back.

7. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    Yeah i noticed that also, still not a good thing to have the screen not come back, only ever happened to me once, and that was right before something else messed up so, i just equate the two together.

8. mbraat

mbraat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback

I am as far from a techie as you get, but the basics should work when you get a top of the line phone. It seems odd that 3 Verizon techs and 1 tech supervisor could not walk me through the process. Don't get me wrong, Verizon is the best carrier on the planet. I will try your suggestions and I hope the apps work, but it is still disappointing to have to go through this for something that should be so easy. There are other things I am unhappy with, but maybe I am not tech savy enough to fix them. The keyboard is not great, the screen brightness is not great, the camera is horrible in anything but bright sun and the touch features do not seem as responsive as they should be. The problems are probably due in no small part due to my ineptitude, but if I can find a way to text to group distribution lists i will keep the Droid since it seems to offer more than any other phone Verizon offers. Changing carriers is not an option. Thanks for all your feedback. I really do appreciate it.

9. Moondonkey

Moondonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain how the top of the line offering can't send a simple text message to a group distribution list when even the free phones ou get with a contract can?

My Droid can do group texts, you just need to get an application called Handcent. Yes I agree it should come stock, but this is open source, if you are not up to do a little tweaking for your own needs, than this is probably not the phone for you.

10. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Mbraat do grab Handcent it will solve all your texting problems and its free. Great app and you will be able to use it as your native sms/mms app

Good luck

11. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely understand your gripes. I've never owned an iPhone but I did use my iPod almost everyday, and when I first got my droid I was a bit disappointed that the UI didn't "feel" as nice as my iPod's. Android is relatively new (it's only 1 year old) and I feel like it can only get better from now on. The rate Android is growing is also very fast so I do hope all these issues are ironed out soon. I've had a lot of fun so far trying to "figure out" the droid; the good and the bad. I've hardly used my iPod lately becaose of it. Also the droid (both in it's design and the state of the OS) I think was heavily advertised to the "male geek" who don't mind an "unpolished" product and get excited at the potential of this device. We're early adopters, in a sense we are beta-testing it! lol

Anyway, I'm using handcent now as my main texting program. The only thing I don't like about using third party apps is that in my mind I don't think they integrate "seamlessly" as they should. I hope they make it so that third party apps almost become "one" with the OS. Good luck, hopefully you hang in there!:reddroid:

Also: if you hate the default soft keyboard like I do, you can try "better keyboard." while it's not free (just a tad over priced for my taste I think it's 3.99 or 2.99) it's better (not great IMO, still freaks out on me when I try to type fast) than the default keyboard at least and it's skinnable!

#23 JonKyu, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. Adlerson

Adlerson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're touching on something important here though, and the all important reason for why I dumped my iPhone and got the Droid in stead. (And why I'll never look back):
    Apple does basics and gloss very well. No one beats them on this. But this is also why I personally dislike them so intensely; For them to ensure that everything is idiot proof they also lock everything down, so that you can use the surface features easily and effectively, but the moment you try to delve a little deeper it's impossible. I normally put it this way; I hate Apple's attitude of 'thinking they know how I want to use my own device better than I do'.
    The Droid might be a bit more complex to use at first, but the great thing about the Droid is that since it's open source and so accessible someone will cover whatever need comes along. So unfortunately, as in your case, you might be put off by the fact that the phone lacks certain features 'stock', but rest assured, the possibilities are oh so more endless with this phone than the iPhone.

I would suggest using these forums to get help until you get to grips with your phone. And once you do.. Trust me, you won't feel as blue about it as you might have felt up until now. :)

Cheers,
    Addy