noob question

dymndback

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a incredible4g from the original incredible, and wanted to give the old phone to my son to use as a "touch" type device.
I did a factory reset to clear all my stuff off, but now it looks like i need to re-activate it to get it to work. Can this be done even though
I already have a phone activated with that number? If so, how?
Thanks in advance,
Marco

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

chickaholic

Reaction score
Touch device for son

Hi. If you got a new phone and it is activated, then your old phone (via serial number) is deactivated from the carrier's system. You would have to add it as an additional phone (with a new phone number) to have it available to your son to use as such. It sounds like you don't want to add it to your plan but just use it as a stand-alone electronic toy/device. If you did a factory reset then your son can only use or play with the stock apps that were pre-installed on the phone when you purchased it, and even then, only those that do not require communication with a server. It's not much. Depending on your son's age, it could either be an uninteresting toy or a useless electronic gadget. My recommendation is to sell your old phone online and buy something age appropriate that your son will enjoy. You would be amazed at how much an old smart phone sells for if it is in working order and not damaged (can be sold for parts otherwise). You also can donate old phones to women's shelters or to charities and get a tax deduction. Hope this helps.

Last edited: