Switching to Incredible from Droid, how do I transfer my apps?

the5rivers

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to switch to the Incredible, and had a question about apps Ive bought from the market.

How will I be able to transfer/use them on the Incredible? I am assuming that my purchase history is stored somewhere on the Google cloud, but will it be as simple as re-downloading the ones Ive already paid for once I sync my gmail account with the Incredible?

And what about the free apps? Will those be in my purchase history, or will I have to make a note of those and just re-download them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

EDIT: Also, how would I make sure there are no conflicts with apps on the Droid and on the Incredible? Once I activate new phone, can I just do a factory reset on the Droid? Thanks again!

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to switch to the Incredible, and had a question about apps Ive bought from the market.

How will I be able to transfer/use them on the Incredible? I am assuming that my purchase history is stored somewhere on the Google cloud, but will it be as simple as re-downloading the ones Ive already paid for once I sync my gmail account with the Incredible?

And what about the free apps? Will those be in my purchase history, or will I have to make a note of those and just re-download them?

Your paid apps are already stored for you so when you sync your Google account into the new phone it will know which ones you paid for and you just re-download them. As far as the free apps the best thing you can do is make a note of all of them and re-download them. Google may save them or may not so its best to keep a note of all of them just in case. Just remember stuff like Helixlauncher and things like that you wont need on the Incredible.

OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score

Your paid apps are already stored for you so when you sync your Google account into the new phone it will know which ones you paid for and you just re-download them. As far as the free apps the best thing you can do is make a note of all of them and re-download them. Google may save them or may not so its best to keep a note of all of them just in case. Just remember stuff like Helixlauncher and things like that you wont need on the Incredible.

Cool man thanks! Thats what I figured for the most part, and lol I totally forgot that I wont need HelixLauncher lol.

Now I am just worried about app compatibility! Hopefully they will be by launch day! Thanks again!!

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

Cool man thanks! Thats what I figured for the most part, and lol I totally forgot that I wont need HelixLauncher lol.

Now I am just worried about app compatibility! Hopefully they will be by launch day! Thanks again!!

LOL yeah you will aleady have 7 screens so no HelixLauncher needed. Most apps should already be compatible and the ones that arent im sure will be upgraded in a timely fashion. The Incredible is getting to be quite a popular phone. :icon_ banana:

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the same boat. I have been going back and forth about getting the incredible, and transferring my paid apps was one of my questions. going to preorder today.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Also you can back up apps to SD card with some of the manager apps like Astro. Then transfer the backup folder to computer and there are your apks ready to reinstall.

kmo

Reaction score
Also you can back up apps to SD card with some of the manager apps like Astro. Then transfer the backup folder to computer and there are your apks ready to reinstall.
Nice, yea I tried Astro File Manager with my Droid and it seemed to work well. I kept a list of the free apps I want to re-install. There are some that I won't need to install with the new features coming to the INC.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I haven't had my Droid too long so I'd only downloaded free apps so far. I found out about the INC just a little to late to switch but the guy @ the VZW store worked out a way I could get the Inc for the promo price. My Droid will now be my spare phone so I am just going to swap the SD cards. I backed everything up to PC anyway though.

R1Lover

Reaction score
there is no need to back them up... sign into google and let it do it's thing.

Andr0id

Reaction score
Yea there are a couple apps that save your apps to the SD card, but I haven't tried them. When I get my Incredible, I'm just gonna download the ones I will actually use. I'm gonna use it as an opportunity to weed out some of my useless, never used apps. The paid apps will be able to be re-downloaded at no extra charge. Lastly, I'm using an app called "App Dragon" that creates a list of all the apps I have downloaded and with one click it will send that list to my email. Other apps do this too, but I have only used this one since I got my Droid, but it works flawlessly. So if ya want a list and don't feel like writing it all down, check it out!

NetNathan

Reaction score
I figured there would be some legal mumbo jumbo that would interpret (as in layman's terms) "Only 1 paid application installed on only 1 phone". Like most pc software....oh yea...right....this is Linux.

Last edited: