Asus Announcement 3: ASUS Transformer Book Trio - Android & Windows 8 Hybrid Device

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 3, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Our next big announcement from Asus is an unusual and innovative device. It's called the Asus Transformer Book Trio and it is basically a notebook/tablet hybrid device that runs both Android and Windows 8. This baby doesn't skimp on power either. Here's a spec breakdown,
    • Intel’s Core i7 chipset inside the notebook for the Windows side of things
    • A 2GHz Intel ATOM-based Z2580 chipset for the Android tablet part
    • 11.6 inch 1080p display
    • 64GB of flash storage in the tablet portion
    • 1TB hard drive inside the dock/notebook
    • The dock/notebook includes its own bigger battery separate from the one in the tablet
    As is the case with some of the previous devices Asus announced, pricing and timeframes were not shared just yet. Here's the press release,

2. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    I'm confused as to why it runs Windows on the i7, but runs Android on the Atom. Since they are both intel CPU's, why couldn't Android just be compiled to run on the i7 ?

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Compare this to what Acer is trying to do...like I said, Acer is a fail. Even this better have 4gigs of ram if you're going to have a decent Windows experience.

4. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    The reason is likely performance. The Atom makes sense for the tablet which needs more battery life, but when you switch to notebook mode, some users want more power than the Atom provides. More than likely the intent of this product is to pull people away from Ultrabooks and the Macbook Air and offer them a tablet to go with it. Clever idea.

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Seems pretty costly, though, to have 2 processors. But agree with what you said - business users need an i7.

Plus, with Win8 it can take advantage of the touchscreen. I like Asus, they seem to be about the only mfr truly on the cutting edge.

Although personally I'd rather some other way to run Android without dual-booting. Something like an i7 would make-up for the lag from some sort of virtual Android. Would love to have some of my Android widgets on my PC desktop. The windows widgets never really seemed to take off.

6. zinethar

zinethar Senior Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    I'm not sure I get it. Win RT is Microsoft's version of a tablet OS. They run full win8 but not RT in a duel setup - seems to be a huge slap in Microsoft's face to me (your OS is fine for a computer but we need a real tablet OS for the tablet side...).

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not sure it's a slap in the face. Android has far more apps, and probably more a marketing decision to have their tablet run Android. It's a point of differentiation - not a device like this out there right now.

8. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I don't think it's dual-booting. As I understand what they're saying, it's a three-piece device with the traditional Transformer tablet and keyboard and a separate laptop docking station. The i7 processor is in the docking station with the 1TB HDD. When you take the tablet/keyboard combo and place it in the docking station, the tablet simply functions as a touch-screen monitor for W8. I assume we'll be able to transfer data from the tablet to the HDD but it looks like the tablet is strictly Android.

And I can live with that. It's still amazingly impressive to run both off an ostensibly single device.

Search tags for this page

802.11ac compatible tablet

asus announcement

asus product announcement

asus transformer book trio asus.com

does the asus transformer book trio feature remote desktop m