no service after eris powers off

caligottago

Reaction score
Hello all. I have had my HTC Eris for almost four weeks I think, and without fail every week I have had the same issue. Last night my battery died and my phone powered off...no biggie since I was around the corner from my house. So I get home, plug it into the wall about 5+ minutes and try to turn it on. It goes through the normal startup screen and gets all the way to the HTC screen with the glowing scrolling light and thats it. Well I am use to smartphones taking a few minutes to boot, but after 10 mins it was still doing the same thing...so I took the battery out and powered it on again. This time I waited 35 mins and still no luck. After the 5th or 6th time of doing this I was finally able to get to my homescreen but I had no service and get a FC msg "com.android.phone" and no service.

This is the 1st time it has taken this long to boot up, but not the 1st time I've got the no service after the phone has been powered off. Ultimately when I can finally get to the settings & tools screen I end up doing a hard reset (a pain in my a$$ :mad:). I love my phone, but if I am going to have to reset it every week or so I might just run over it and go back to my dare:eek: (did I mention that I have been without my phone since 1030pm CST yesterday)

If there is anyone out there that can help me, I would be forever in your debt...

falltime

Reaction score
I have had a similar issue, it has to do with some app that you installed, go back and unistall the apps in reverse order to how you installed them (if you remember), and then reboot after each uninstall - its a hastle to be sure but hopefully it is one of the last ones you got.....
This is the problem with Android vs. Ipod's walled garden, sometimes you get a real crappy app that screws the pooch....still worth it.

FYI - now I reboot after every new app is installed to avoid this.

OP
C

caligottago

Reaction score
Thanks falltime...i went uninstalled several apps n restarted the phone. So far so good. Im bad abt turning my phone off and know these smartphones are like little computers so I guess I need 2 start powering down from time 2 time ;-)

Thanks again

falltime

Reaction score
Actually, I think I discovered something, I don't think the problem is due to a bad app but rather too many Apps. I had the problem again and as long as I uninstalled one app for each new one I install I am fine but each time I actually ADD another app the problem returns, it doesn't seem to be a matter of memory be cause I can install a large app and remove a tiny one. I think there might actually be a hard limit on how many apps the phone can handle.

How many apps do you have?

OP
C

caligottago

Reaction score
Actually, I think I discovered something, I don't think the problem is due to a bad app but rather too many Apps. I had the problem again and as long as I uninstalled one app for each new one I install I am fine but each time I actually ADD another app the problem returns, it doesn't seem to be a matter of memory be cause I can install a large app and remove a tiny one. I think there might actually be a hard limit on how many apps the phone can handle.

How many apps do you have?
oh i had a bunch of them :icon_eek: i only had like 29mb of space on phone...wish i could find a way to delete some of the pre-installed apps cuz they are things that i don't and won't use...i do have an app that backs up all apps to my sd card, but in order to run them i have to reinstall them. it's a vicious endless cycle :icon_ devil: