No Screen, Enable USB Debugging?

ninja90177

Reaction score
Hate to register and start a help thread, but desperately need the help.

Long story short : The phone's been super rugged and been to hell and back with me at work. Wednesday, it took a spill out of my hands, hit my shoe and slid across the floor. Nowhere near as bad as before, but now the screen is finished.

However! The touch screen is still fully operational! I need to enable USB Debugging. So, I've got my replacement phone side-by-side with 'ol busted here going through the menus and I'd think i've gotten it, but not showing up in ADB.

Summary: Entire phone works FINE, except for the LCD screen. I need to enable USB debugging and wipe the phone before returning (security-related issues for work). I know the screens out on account of the colored lines across the screen.

Any help or a "sorry buddy, you're effed" is appreciated. Though, the latter will lead me for help elsewhere :)

Kenney

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You should back up everything on the SD card to a PC, format the SD card (you get to keep it when returning a phone; a replacement doesn't come with a battery or SD card) then you should use a program called RSD Lite to wipe it totally back to stock. It'll get rid of all the data on the phone and put it back to out-of-the-box stock, software-wise.

OP
N

ninja90177

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I tried it a few times and it won't pick up the device. I know to start RSD, THEN plug in phone, etc, it's just not seeing it.

I called Verizon and told them I would be required to destroy the phone if any data were to remain on it, so out of the pocket it comes. Price I pay, I guess.

Thanks for the help!

Kenney

OP
N

ninja90177

Reaction score
I tried 4.6, 4.8, and 4.9. Assuming that if one wouldn't respond, maybe another would, but I figured 4.9 woulda done it.

Without a screen, I can only assume i'm making it into the bootloader. I gave it 27 tries total. Several tries with each version of RSDlite. Several tries from another computer using a different version. Sucks I leave usb debugging off normally. I've learned my lesson there.

I've been through this before numerous times with rooting and adding ROMs on other phones, but this one is fighting me to the end. Someone PMed me and asked if the USB was even still functional after the fall, but I was able to back-up the SD Card without issue, so that's not it. Just thought I'd add that in there to clarify that it's not a physical USB, just down to logical connectivity.

Kenney

OP
N

ninja90177

Reaction score
Just FYI . . .

No luck getting into the phone. Verizon "tech" tried it with no luck. Phone was destroyed in a hard drive shredder. It was both sad and awesome to watch.

Thanks for the help, though.

Kenney