No menu button on the Nexus?

ZBacks

Reaction score
I was at the Verizon store to compare the Razr and Nexus and could not find a menu button on it like all other Android phones. Am I missing something?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

joeybarclay

Reaction score
The menu button only shows up when you need it. It will be with the home, back, and multitasking buttons or somewhere else (upper right in the market)

xliderider

Reaction score
It's easy to miss, if you don't know what to look for. It is a vertical row of three dots either at the upper right, or lower left of the screen usually.

orion2001

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the change with regards to the menu button. It isn't enforced in a standardized manner, and different apps display it in different parts of the screen. On the browser, it shows up on the top-right, but only after you tap to get the URL bar displayed. I quite liked having a consistent menu button at a consistent location across all apps. I don't see why they didn't just leave it in the bottom..with it being displayed for apps that had a menu screen, and hidden for apps that did not have any menu options.

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
I agree, the great thing about android was all the main buttons were always in the same spot.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree, the great thing about android was all the main buttons were always in the same spot.

It's really something you get used to, after 4 days of using this phone I've grown more accustomed to it and not looking for the menu button that's found on older phones. What I still haven't gotten used to is the fact that the menu buttons moves depending on what app you're using. Makes for a much cleaner looking OS though:hail:

orion2001

Reaction score
It's really something you get used to, after 4 days of using this phone I've grown more accustomed to it and not looking for the menu button that's found on older phones. What I still haven't gotten used to is the fact that the menu buttons moves depending on what app you're using. Makes for a much cleaner looking OS though:hail:
Yeah, but it baffles me as to why they would do that. For the average user, it has got to be a step backwards, because they are going to be a lot more confused about why the settings button isn't available at times, and why it keeps moving all over the place. From a usability perspective, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Still, it's better than not having any settings button as on IOS. I've lost count of the number of times I've been itching to hit a menu button on my iPad, only to remember that I can't...and then getting annoyed that I have to go to a separate "Settings" app to change browser or other app settings.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it baffles me as to why they would do that. For the average user, it has got to be a step backwards, because they are going to be a lot more confused about why the settings button isn't available at times, and why it keeps moving all over the place. From a usability perspective, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Still, it's better than not having any settings button as on IOS. I've lost count of the number of times I've been itching to hit a menu button on my iPad, only to remember that I can't...and then getting annoyed that I have to go to a separate "Settings" app to change browser or other app settings.

You can install the soft key mod over on xda to add the menu button always at the bottom

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like the new menu set up, less is more :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

orion2001

Reaction score
You can install the soft key mod over on xda to add the menu button always at the bottom
Thanks. My concern is more that this will be the standard going forward since this is part of ICS and will remain in non nexus ICS devices in the future as well. For someone like me, it's no biggie and I can easily adapt, but I just feel that it is fundamentally less intuitive and will be an issue for your average mom/pop who just picked up their fancy new ICS smartphone.

I'm a little worried when it comes to Google and UI decisions lately...have you seen how horrible their new Gmail look is? It sure looks slick, but is completely unintuitive to a lay person.