no market unless you surrender private and confidential info

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Takeshi...how many times do you pull a hit and run? I have seen thread after thread, you hi-jack it and then never return. It must be very entertaining to read something you disagree with, pose a couple of questions and then twiddle your thumbs somewhere else. Read my endorsement of this platform but my warning for 4G devices. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/11153-droid-truly-amazing.html

Also maybe you have trouble reading? Or maybe you just love twisting my words to one extreme because I've noticed this is not the first occasion.
"It is still a choice right now for what we use and do not but the average consumer will be lured by the Google brand of all products."

When I turn on my phone I am automatically led to sign up for a G-Mail account. When I sign up for the marketplace I therefore have to sign up for a G-Mail. Take a look at the two newest apps being promoted by Google, "Listen" and "Goggles." Say goodbye to Barcode scanner and Shop Savvy...sure they work in different ways but the average consumer who isn't scrolling through a million apps due to the poor setup of market place is going to download the Google apps out of convenience.

Also, GVoice is now being promoted for text/IM chat and is the foundation to a VOIP setup for Google. It may not be used specifically for that now, but time will show Google's true intentions.

So yeah you are right...I don't have to force you to jump off the cliff...but I can lead you up to the edge with a pair of blindfolds on.

As I said in the other thread...I support this Android device and this generation of phones. But come 4G, I can only imagine where Google is taking us. Apple may have control over the marketplace, but they aren't shoving first party apps down your throat all the time.

I want an Android OS phone..not a Google phone.

If you live in the United States... you live in a free country. That does not mean you can just go out and murder someone over a disagreement and get away with it. Google can call Android open development but when every *ESSENTIAL APP* is dictated by Google and 95% of the people use it by default, I tend to think it is a bit misleading. Not that its a bad thing, but lets not lie to the public and put up an altered image of reality.

Last edited:
OP
G

gootgolly

Reaction score
Wrong, have the droid, had gmail long before yesterday yet several of the settings on this unit do not function as others indicate it should. No, it will not allow syncing if contacts are not surrendered, nor will ot allow access to market without syncing.

It matters not if you believe this, or if I truly am right this minute suffering this gawd foresaken keyboard.

Point me to a well written how to and wherefor on these issues as Ive found no answers other than many seemingly mediocre minded cavemen casting stones.

R

racklefratz

No. None of that.

If you hate the damned thing, get rid of it.

You're wasting your time, and our time here thrashing it around.

Just get rid of it, and quit wasting everyone's time with the issues you seem to have with the phone. Nobody needs it , and more to the point NOBODY HERE CAN FIX IT.

Droids

Reaction score
I posted earlier about you returning the Droid if you're not happy about owning a Google Experienc phone. Guess some Mod thought I was harsh and deleted the post.

Something everyone should understand.... you can setup a separate gmail account and use it for the phone. It doesn't need to have any contacts, keep your contacts on the phone and don't sync them. The secondary gmail account would be used for the Market Place maybe, if you choose to use the Market Place... there are other means of aquring apps. YOU can choose what accounts are used with your phone, YOU can choose what gets sync'd to the cloud and what doesn't. You are in control if you wish to be. Anytime anyone uses a smartphone from this point on is going to lose some privacy, very little if you set it up right. It's not fair to buy a Google Experience phone and then complain that all your data is now in the cloud and Big Brother is watching you. No one, not even Google is FORCING anything on any of you. You chose to buy a Google phone, you chose to use your previously (somewhat) private gmail account to setup the phone.

Dont' use your primary gmail account. No, Google does not force you to sync contacts or anything else, that is USER error. Set up your ISP's pop3 mail account if you wish. Use Exchange, use anything but gmail. The gmail account is required to setup the phone, but it can be any gmail account you have. Learn your options and configure it how you need, or just return it.

Droidnought

Reaction score
No, Google does not force you to sync contacts or anything else, that is USER error.

The only way I have found to block Contact syncing is to disable syncing for the entire account - including Gmail. If it is not an all-or-none setting, please tell me where the options are located. I have found where I can sync individual components on demand, but not specify which components of the account sync automatically. Which means I have to disable Gmail (email) syncing in order to block Contact syncing.

I would happily use another Contact app if there were one that integrated with the Phone, but I'm not aware of any. I like having Caller ID show me the name when the phone rings but I don't see why Google has to know that information. If someone knows of a Contact app that will interface with the Phone without being tied to Google, please tell me. I have absolutely no need for the Cloud so I don't want to use it - it's just that simple.

Wally

Droids

Reaction score
No, Google does not force you to sync contacts or anything else, that is USER error.

The only way I have found to block Contact syncing is to disable syncing for the entire account - including Gmail. If it is not an all-or-none setting, please tell me where the options are located. I have found where I can sync individual components on demand, but not specify which components of the account sync automatically. Which means I have to disable Gmail (email) syncing in order to block Contact syncing.

I would happily use another Contact app if there were one that integrated with the Phone, but I'm not aware of any. I like having Caller ID show me the name when the phone rings but I don't see why Google has to know that information. If someone knows of a Contact app that will interface with the Phone without being tied to Google, please tell me. I have absolutely no need for the Cloud so I don't want to use it - it's just that simple.

Wally
Go into your contacts and press the menu button, select the account (assuming you have more than one) and disable contact syncing. Your email on that account will still sync. You can do this individually for multiple accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.