no market unless you surrender private and confidential info

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Sounds like Tiger's opting for another phone. I don't believe any here is the type that wouldn't be concerned IF there were real security issues. Some pretty smart and technology aware people here. I'd think there would be quite a uproar IF there were issues.

LordKastle

Reaction score
The credit card info is irrelevant. The author of the thread has the correct ideas about Google's infiltration but his logic is completely flawed.

The thing that annoys me about Google is how they claim the OS has open development...yet one by one they are coming out with apps that are taking away from the freedom most of us have. It is still a choice right now for what we use and do not but the average consumer will be lured by the Google brand of all products. [Listen, GMail, Goggles, Navigation, Voice, Analytics, etc etc etc etc]

When they see potential in an app that already exists, they plan on creating their own. So is the credit card example important? Absolutely not...most websites or services keep records for ease of sales.

I did however disable sync'ing of contacts because I find that information to be private.

OP
G

gootgolly

Reaction score
I read the terms quite carefully and google does indeed deny market access if you do not hand over what they demand. Upon refusing, their terms state you cannot access the market via any other means.

So, since no solutions are readily available, indeed it will be returned.

MrBaz

Reaction score
I read the terms quite carefully and google does indeed deny market access if you do not hand over what they demand. Upon refusing, their terms state you cannot access the market via any other means.

So, since no solutions are readily available, indeed it will be returned.

You don't have to hand over any contacts. Learn to use your device before you go blabbering all over the net on how it infringes on your Constiutional Rights to hide those precious contacts. Not like I can't get any of that info from a phone book or off the internet anyway... :r_c:

R

racklefratz

So is the credit card example important? Absolutely not...most websites or services keep records for ease of sales.

I did however disable sync'ing of contacts because I find that information to be private.

Well, we're polar opposites, then (imagine that) :icon_eek:.

Landline phone numbers are available in hard copy phonebooks anywhere, anytime - public information. Wireless numbers aren't, but compromising one isn't the end of the world either.

Credit card info, passwords, any and all of that private personal stuff we all have and protect carefully - well, to me, that's a horse of an entirely different color. If anyone is comfortable shipping all that stuff to Google for syncing back to your phone, I'm amazed. Hacking happens. We read about some new security breach in the news not infrequently, and some pretty savvy corporations have been victims.

My CC number has already been compromised once at an online merchant I did business with, and I've had attempts at identity theft. The writing's on the wall, for me, at least, and I'll keep all that stuff to myself, thanks. Hell, I don't even use my credit card number to pay for online buys when I can avoid it - I use Paypal. Just no upside to having all that stuff out there in circulation. YMMV.

diverken

Reaction score
what is private

If you were born, married, have a home, you drive a car, have a drivers license, passport, you have a public record. Get over it, we all exist in a database, nobody can claim to be private.

R

racklefratz

If you were born, married, have a home, you drive a car, have a drivers license, passport, you have a public record. Get over it, we all exist in a database, nobody can claim to be private.

Ah, yes, the black helicopters are coming. The information that can HURT me ain't in those passport, car, marriage, yada, yada records, so YOU "get over it". You wanna' spew all that stuff everywhere for the world to misuse, go for it.

LordKastle

Reaction score
You're credit card information is in the files of all companies you make purchases from. Your credit card information from this point will be on record moving forward...society is moving away from paper money at a faster and faster rate. Welcome to reality.

The problem with Google is not how the marketplace is set up..you can see this in all modern technologies where information is downloaded and sold and there is no physical trace. The problem is that their programs are a step away from being default to the average user. So like I said... open development? Yeah with a few conditions on the side.

R

racklefratz

You're credit card information is in the files of all companies you make purchases from. Your credit card information from this point will be on record moving forward

Can't make a blanket statement like that. Some keep stuff like that on record, some don't, because they don't want the liability risk. Furthermore, the vast majority that did over my lifetime are maintaining expired information. And using Paypal for electronic transactions means they never see my CC info at all.

Welcome to reality.

I've been there all the time......what took you so long?

The problem is that their programs are a step away from being default to the average user. So like I said... open development? Yeah with a few conditions on the side.

Given that we're talking a GOOGLE PHONE here, where's the surprise factor in that? You didn't expect it when you got the phone? And since when did any company offer to provide goods and/or services unconditionally?

JayMonster

Reaction score
Care to clarify your trolling?

I've noticed this a lot on this forum specifically. Any time anyone says something even REMOTELY questioning the Droid or Google's motives regarding Android/Droid/etc, they get accused of trolling around here.

It's starting to look and feel a lot like an iPhone forum, except Apple/Steve Jobs has been replaced with Google, and the iPhone is now a Droid.

Disclaimer: I have a Droid, and it is without a doubt the best phone I have ever used or owned. I would personally recommend it over an iPhone any day of the week for most people. HOWEVER, I still fully respect other people's opinions on the subject, and their right to question Google and/or the Droid.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

Your statement simply isn't true. Yes, there are people who are accused of trolling, and as somebody else mentioned, the are easy to spot. How? By the way they "ask" a question. Look at the OP. This isn't even really a question so much as a statement (which is actually incorrect).

This person doesn't even actually have the phone. (Why JayMonster... how do you know that?) Because if they bought the phone... they now have a Google Account and Gmail account and have access to the market. You don't need to sync your contacts, but you DO need to have a Google Account, and when you buy the phone (at Verizon at least), if you do not have a Google Account they set one up for you.

So this is nothing more than somebody, who has no problem with iTunes sending information back to Apple, or that they snuck Safari and Mobile Me onto your computer (if you are a Windows owner and weren't paying attention), and I would almost bet that they probably even have a Mobile Me account (I said almost), but for some reason, to them, doing so is so egregious. Fine. Then don't buy the phone. Move on.

And for the OP. Is it legal? Of course it is legal. It is in the Terms of Service that to use this phone, you have to have a Google Account. You don't want the account, nobody is making you buy the phone, it is as simple as that. There is no trickery here, the terms are clear and up front.

For the rest of you... yes it is true that there is more in public record than some people imagine... that doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned about your privacy. And please do not use the "if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" line, becuase... while yes, we all go to the bathroom, we don't need everybody watching it.

But on the other side of that coin. If you are going to try and function in today's society... you have to accept that there is going to be a certain amount of information "out there." If you are that worried about it, rip out the Ethernet Cable and stop going online... it is as easy as that... otherwise, there is information being gathered... whether you want it to or not.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Closed

Guys I think this thread has run it's course. I see the OP's concern. He can turn off Sync. He can return the device also. I do believe it's christmas and I would like to keep a civil tone. So this one is :closed_2:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this a lot on this forum specifically. Any time anyone says something even REMOTELY questioning the Droid or Google's motives regarding Android/Droid/etc, they get accused of trolling around here.
Every forum, including this one, has fanboys. However, that doesn't mean that the OP of this thread isn't a troll. It's a perfect example of a troll post. Based on incorrect data and intended to incite people.

Now, if he posted a question asking how to get around the perceived "issue" that would have been a different matter.

The thing that annoys me about Google is how they claim the OS has open development...yet one by one they are coming out with apps that are taking away from the freedom most of us have. It is still a choice right now for what we use and do not but the average consumer will be lured by the Google brand of all products.
[Listen, GMail, Goggles, Navigation, Voice, Analytics, etc etc etc etc]
You're contradicting yourself. Please cite an example of where there isn't open development. Open development doesn't mean that Google can't create apps. Your other false assumption is that Google "forces" its apps on users. Can you cite actual examples where you cannot user an alternative app?

Last edited:
R

racklefratz

You're contradicting yourself. Please cite an example of where there isn't open development..... Your other false assumption is that Google "forces" its apps on users. Can you cite actual examples where you cannot user an alternative app?

Psik'm.............:yeahbaby01:

OP
G

gootgolly

Reaction score
Wrong, have the droid, had gmail long before yesterday yet several of the settings on this unit do not function as others indicate it should. No, it will not allow syncing if contacts are not surrendered, nor will ot allow access to market without syncing.

It matters not if you believe this, or if I truly am right this minute suffering this gawd foresaken keyboard.

Point me to a well written how to and wherefor on these issues as Ive found no answers other than many seemingly mediocre minded cavemen casting stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.