no market unless you surrender private and confidential info

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by gootgolly, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gootgolly

gootgolly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that even legal?

I cannot do this, is this phone worth having without access to the market?

Do all of you that upload your contacts list to the net get permission to do that?

I can see there being some huge problems arising from this.

2. Retribution

Retribution Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Care to clarify your trolling?

3. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can turn off sync. so your risk is basically getting a gmail account for the market... cant imagine that being a problem

4. Dragoro

Dragoro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wtf I didn't have to upload nothing to use the market LOL

5. QuPop

QuPop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not quite sure I understand your concern.

If the phone is worth it with out marketplace? Personally I would say no. Is your computer worth it with out software would be first analogy that would come to mind.

I technically downloaded my contact list from my Google mail/voice accounts before I did any uploading for syncing at all.

I'm perfectly happy with the arrangements that Google has placed but LOL I might just be a sheep! :woot:

#5 QuPop, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  6. jnev

jnev Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed this a lot on this forum specifically. Any time anyone says something even REMOTELY questioning the Droid or Google's motives regarding Android/Droid/etc, they get accused of trolling around here.

It's starting to look and feel a lot like an iPhone forum, except Apple/Steve Jobs has been replaced with Google, and the iPhone is now a Droid.

Disclaimer: I have a Droid, and it is without a doubt the best phone I have ever used or owned. I would personally recommend it over an iPhone any day of the week for most people. HOWEVER, I still fully respect other people's opinions on the subject, and their right to question Google and/or the Droid.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

7. boatman2220

boatman2220 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few people that have had questions about this. Some apps need your location, contact information to supply updates and provide the search results, navigation, deliver messages and emails. Contact and location information isn't that big a threat. When they want passwords, credit card numbers, and other private information, that would be a reason for me to become concerned.

8. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at the control put over the OS comparing Apple and Google, you will see that with the exception of the app marketplace being under an Apple dictatorship, Apple takes a much less aggressive behavior when promoting their own ideas and applications.

Android may have open development for the OS but they push their apps down the throats of the users.

[You can disable contact syncing..I have]

#8 LordKastle, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, we'll never hear from the OP again but probably Google has already got his credit card info. Heck they had one of mine on file and I didn't even know it.

You're always going to have somebody a little to concerned about privacy and such with the Droid. Nature of the beast.

10. MrBaz

MrBaz Member

Ratings:
    +0

Well, he has only made 2 posts. He is basically cross-posting. His other post states the same thing.

He doesn't ask how to keep it from happening, he just blames google for stealing is precious 'confidential' info from his phone.

11. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used Google Checkout long before I had an Android phone, and that's why they already had a CC on file for me. I like it... Google Checkout is used on the Internet for far more than just the Android Marketplace.

I too had my contacts in gmail long before I had an Android phone. It was beautiful when the phone automatically downloaded those contacts to the phone, and it's wonderfully convenient that they stay in sync.

I'm also starting to use Google Docs and Google Tasks, and I've completely switched over to Google Calendar. This is all for my personal stuff. I use Exchange and Corporate Calendar for work related tasks. I love how all of this just works, I am having fewer and fewer concerns about the whole cloud based computing thing, and it's great that my phone can be a part of it too.

All of this can be turned off in the phone. You can sync everything or just what you want.

12. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Because they are easy to spot..

Not even close....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.