No connection with gmail

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
from home screen I can access my RR and MSN in boxes and check my mail, however when i click icon for gmail I get error message " no connection " I can not send or recieve gmail from my DX. Read all the post I could find and tried what was suggested. Gmail on my PC works good. Sure could use good info on ports as maybe thats why I can not send or receive. I did get to the compose page in gmail but after sending I get the error message that it did not send.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this problem directly, but anytime my Gmail starts acting up, I go to Menu-Settings-Applications-Manage Applications-All

Then I scroll down to Gmail, select it, clear cache and clear data.

Have you tried this?

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
I did not try clearing data because it said it would delete "accounts " as well, I took this to mean it would delete my gmail account.Is that correct?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I did not try clearing data because it said it would delete "accounts " as well, I took this to mean it would delete my gmail account.Is that correct?

No, you will lose any settings though, and if you had multiple gmail accounts you will probably have to re enter them. All this does is "reset" the gmail app. It doesn't delete your gmail account.

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
ok, deleted data and still no connection to gmail, however can reach compose page but can not send., here are my settings , maybe one or more is wrong.
for server=gmail.com
port= 995
then my email addie for user name
then password
should server have smtp in front of gmail.com
don't know if port is correct

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I don't think you are supposed to be able change any settings for gmail, did you try to add gmail into your email application? They are two separate applications, one for email, and one for gmail.

You should use the stand alone gmail app, rather than the email app.

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
not sure I understand that, if I use the gmail app on my apps page or go to my list of accounts I get nowear, not sure about finding both email and gmail apps

thatguychuck

Reaction score
If you open your app drawer, there should be an app for "Email," and down a bit further one for "Gmail." What happens when you open the "Gmail" app?

I have never seen an instance where you had to enter in ports and settings to access Gmail.

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
when I open that one is says no messages in inbox, seen this before, anyway while there hit green + sign , sent email and it says email not sent, connection error

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
now I tried this, I sent an email form my msn account to my gmail acc: click on email app and is says no connection, click on gmail app and I can view the email, however if I hit reply and send a message , is error's and says no connection.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
That green plus sign is in the EMAIL app. It sounds to me like you have tried to setup your gmail account from within the email app, which makes no sense. Open your app drawer, and open the GMAIL app only, not email then gmail.

Don't open this:
attachment.php

Open This:
attachment.php

If this isn't the case I apologize, but I'm running out of ideas. Hopefully somebody will be along that can lend some help.

Attachments

• email.jpg
    email.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 873
  • gmail.jpg
    gmail.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 850

thatguychuck

Reaction score
now I tried this, I sent an email form my msn account to my gmail acc: click on email app and is says no connection, click on gmail app and I can view the email, however if I hit reply and send a message , is error's and says no connection.

If you have tried to set up your gmail account from within the Email app, you need to remove it.

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
Well thanks for trying to help, i had set up a gmail acc: with my PC before I got the DX. during set up it asked for the gmail info, I put it in and that was all I did with gmail, I thought the DX took care of the rest but something is still wrong, strange how when ever I get a notifcation at the top of my home page saying no connection, I click on it and get takes to the setting page for my gmail account as if it is telling me something in the setting is wrong. Well I am giving up on it for now, atleast I can read emails from my RR and MSN acc:when out and about, but can not reply from the DX, in that event I will have to wait till I get home and fire up the PC. thanks again for your time.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I am having a problem with Gmail today as well. I can receive emails but not send. Earlier today I had something weird come up from Gmail asking me to sign in by typing in a random word that was displayed in a popup window. I tried several times, correctly typing in the words but it kept failing. Not sure what is up. However over the past couple of days anytime I sent emails on my phone using gmail, I would receive a copy in my inbox of the email I sent. What's up?

OP
M

MICHAEL C

Reaction score
Eighter DX and or Gmail S_ _ k. I have givin up on gmail because I have tried everything,all though I think DX is the real problem.I talked with Verizon Teck and got nowear. Time to surrender and except the fact you can not email with DX