NFL and DirecTV class action lawsuit

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
NFL-Court-11414.jpg

The report (below) states that both DirecTV and the NFL exclusive deal has hindered competition.

On one hand I feel a company should have a right to demand what they want for their services.

But with tax payers footing the bill for the billion dollar stadiums, I agree with the lawsuit because of the practices of the NFL blacking out games and making the only way to watch the games (legally) is through DirecTV or VZW.
Yes I am aware you can watch local games, but remember that is if the NFL hadn't blacked it out.

What are your thoughts about the lawsuit?

Source: NFL and DirecTV Hit With Antitrust Class Action Lawsuit - Pats Pulpit

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought the exclusivity ended after this season. If so it's a frivolous lawsuit designed only to transfer those millions of tax payer dollars from team owners, coaches, and players to lawyers.
Never mind. I just read this
NFL extends Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV
I think it's borderline antitrust but not over the top.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought the exclusivity ended after this season. If so it's a frivolous lawsuit designed only to transfer those millions of tax payer dollars from team owners, coaches, and players to lawyers.
Never mind. I just read this
NFL extends Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV
I think it's borderline antitrust but not over the top.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yeah I started to say the deal was renewed but you caught yourself already. Actually good point and something I failed to mention (about the deal being for 8....now 7 more years).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sunday Ticket was has been offered over PS3 for several years (they generally have MAJOR issues, at least early in the year). Last year, at least, it was also offered streamed over the internet. But I don't believe DirectTV/NFL was prepared for the bandwidth demand.

Point being, you don't really have a case when its offered over the internet without subscribing to DirectTv.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Wasn't Sunday Ticket FREE last year to DirectTV subscribers?

If I am not mistaken that kind of shoots down the Plaintiffs argument that it costs 3X more for the NFL package then it does the MLB package.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wasn't Sunday Ticket FREE last year to DirectTV subscribers?

If I am not mistaken that kind of shoots down the Plaintiffs argument that it costs 3X more for the NFL package then it does the MLB package.
It want free when I asked. I think they were giving it away for free for new customers but not existing customers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
If you are up for renewal, they will throw it in. I just did a 1 year renewal and got $30 off my bill and free Sunday ticket.