Newbie's Excited!

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
Just found this forum with a plain ole Google search - not too tricky!

I've had an older Samsung Droid Charge on Verizon for just 9 months; I got it used from my daughter when she deserted the "tinkerer's side" of the cellphone world and gave it up for an iPhone 5. Well, her loss was my gain and now I'm getting ready to receive my brand new Galaxy Note 3 any day now. As a latecomer to the smart-phone world, I've enjoyed experimenting with my Charge and I am really excited to be getting the incredible Note3!

With that said, I am nervous having never gone through (1) an Android upgrade or (2) setting up a brand new phone from scratch. My concerns:

(1) How smoothly my restoration of Contacts will go. I've been backing up with Verizon's Backup Assistant and I've seen the video about the process. But I have no idea what password they want me to enter when I'm ready to restore to the new phone. I thought about getting the MyBackup app but Contacts would be the only use I would have for it. (I can use my USB-tethered PC for all the rest.

(2) I have been using the GO Launcher EX simply because I inherited it from my daughter. I really like its Page Editing, Shortcuts, Effects, etc. but I'm wondering if there may be a better launcher out there.

(3) Which music player to use. I've been using PowerAmp and the sound quality is good but I continually have huge problems with Playlists(!) They get deleted, tracks go missing, multiples pop up -- it's ridiculous and their forums have only added to my frustration. Is there a better player out there?

I've been in tech my whole career. In my retirement, I tinker with my PCs, build websites and generally spend most days at my desktop. I have thought about the rooting process, but I am putting that on the back-burner for now. It sounds like something I might try someday, but I'm too new to all this at this point.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
(1) If you have your contacts synced to Google, should be good to go. That's all I've ever used

(2) I use Apex, but Nova is nice too.

(3) +1 for Power Amp, I've never used another player but Pandora

BTW, :welcome: to the forum

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Note 3, waiting for mine as well :)...

Are you using a Google Account (this will sync your contacts if you use the same email address as you are using now on the Charge)...As for launchers, there are soooo many - Apex Launcher is very nice as is Nova but Go Launcher is right up there with them - it comes down to preference.

I use Google Music, so I am not much help on the music player...good luck with the upgrade, it will go fine :)...and if ya have more questions, just ask ;).

Also, we do have a sister site that is dedicated to the Note Series of phones... Samsung Galaxy Note2 and Note3 Forum - Active Topics - feel free to join us there as well ;)!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Welcome aboard.

Sent from my DE Moto X