Newbie: How-to questions

kdkrone

Reaction score
I have just purchased an X2 under the wire to lock in unlimited data on my Verizon plan; I usually research everything to death, but I did not have time. My partner (medical practice) has an X and is very happy with it. I most recently had a LG Touch. There are a few questions that I have to get up and running; if there is a FAQ with answers to these, please direct me to it rather than reinvent the wheel.

1. I have a 128 bit encryption in my home wireless; it is a PITA to type. I have not found a way to cut and paste from my email. Is there a built-in command? I miss the one I have on my iPad...

2. I had made a few custom ringtones and have managed to find them on the SD memory card on my old phone and have saved them to my computer. How do I import them onto my phone in order to be able to select them as themes to individualize contacts?

3. Is there a Dummies Guide to Android so that I can familiarize myself with simple tips? I have found some by doing a google search, but if there is a TIPS faq, that would be appreciated.

4. How do I make a plain background for the home screen??? The ones provided are too busy...

That is it at first take. Thanks in advance.

Ken K

vvildcard

Reaction score
1. You should be able to press/hold on the password to select it, then copy/paste. If you're having trouble isolating the password, try getting it into an editable text field (reply to the email and push 'Reply Inline') and edit out all the other text... then use Select All to grab it. You can select anything (press/hold and 'Select Text') and then drag the edges of the select box to get it around the text you want. Press/hold again to copy. Press/hold to paste.

2. Plug your X2 into your computer via USB. Pull down the Notification bar and select 'USB connection' and set it to USB Mass Storage. Browse to the drive (should be listed in My Computer) and make a new folder called 'notifications' and save your ring tones in it. Unmount the phone by switching 'USB connection' back to 'Charge Only' and your phone should scan the SD card and see the ring tones if they're compatible. When you configure the ring tone, they should be listed in the 'Android System' list.

3. LifeHacker.com has lots of articles on really great tips & tricks for Android... just search for Android.

4. I made my own all black background in Paint (in Windows: Start > Run > mspaint), saved as a JPEG to my SD card and it works just fine. Default resolution is 960x540, but make it any size and it will auto-crop when you set it as your wallpaper. Otherwise, there are lots of free Wallpaper/Background apps on the Market.

Last edited:
OP
K

kdkrone

Reaction score
vvildcard, many thanks for the info and quick response.

After I create the background in Paint, to what folder do I save it on the SD card?

Thanks
KK

magman

Reaction score
save it on your sd and when u go to your gallery it will scan your sd for pics and it will show up in ur gallery :D

vvildcard

Reaction score
Any folder will be fine... well, technically any folder that doesn't start with a period (that is how Linux denotes a hidden folder). When you set the phone back to Charge Only mode it will scan the sdcard for new pictures and they'll show up in your gallery.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
K

kdkrone

Reaction score
Thanks. The background is just what I wanted. Worked like a charm.

So far I have found that only gmail allows me to copy and paste. I will see if I can do the connection with my wireless system when I go home tonight.

Thanks also for the reference to tips. I have lots of reading to do, but I am almost back to where I was with the other phone.

KK