Newbie, former BB user

Chumbles

Reaction score
Hello, I just got my new Droid2 after years of BB use, made the jump from Storm (1) to Droid. So far, I LOVE it, and wonder what took me so long!

I do have some adjustments to make and was hoping for a little help on how to accomplish a couple things, a 'wish list' I guess Any help would be appreciated!

1 - the "BerryBuzz" app allowed you to customize ringtone and notifiers for email, calls and SMS, as well as use different notifiers for each of your email accounts (I have 4) Is there an app(or apps) that do that? I have Handcent, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want

2 - Other than moving apps to different homescreens, is there a way to organize apps into categories (folders or lists)

3 - How can I protect info like passwords, acct numbers, etc? I used to have Outlook tasks sync'ed to the BB, but that obviously is not possible

4 - is there a way to has the email check faster than every 15 minutes?

5 - Can I move apps to the SD card? I seem to be running out of room quickly (using 'Blink' to tell me when I get over 80% memory use)

Phew...that's it for now...more to come I am sure

Thank you!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

The D2 has 8GB of internal storage, unless you have a lot of apps you shouldn't be running out of room...yet, if you would like to move apps2sd go into settings/applications/manage applications/ select an app and see if the "move to sd card" option is available

There are folder organizer and password protector apps available in the market and you can password protect the entire device by going into settings/location and security/set up lock screen

Hope this helps

chrisusa96

Reaction score
I also came from blackberry the storm 2. I use an app called quick profiles to change to different sound options. It lets you set up more options than the stock droid 2 has. Like the phone calls only I used at night. Also to change sound for email go to settings and set the ringtone then go to messages and do the same that will give you different tones for messages and email and general notifications. As far as emails I thought it was pushed as soon as you got it. It seems I get my gmail when it is sent to me. Not real sure though I never timed it.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Hello, I just got my new Droid2 after years of BB use, made the jump from Storm (1) to Droid. So far, I LOVE it, and wonder what took me so long!

I do have some adjustments to make and was hoping for a little help on how to accomplish a couple things, a 'wish list' I guess Any help would be appreciated!

1 - the "BerryBuzz" app allowed you to customize ringtone and notifiers for email, calls and SMS, as well as use different notifiers for each of your email accounts (I have 4) Is there an app(or apps) that do that? I have Handcent, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want

2 - Other than moving apps to different homescreens, is there a way to organize apps into categories (folders or lists)

3 - How can I protect info like passwords, acct numbers, etc? I used to have Outlook tasks sync'ed to the BB, but that obviously is not possible

5 - Can I move apps to the SD card? I seem to be running out of room quickly (using 'Blink' to tell me when I get over 80% memory use)

Thank you!

1. There is at least one profiles app in the market, but from what I was told it doesn't allow you to lets say allow phone calls and text sounds to come through but not email. It's either phone calls on/off, or text/email on/off. I think that's pointless because you can turn down the sound of your notifications and still get phone calls. Not the same as a BB profile.

2. You can create folders on your home screens and move icons to that folder for organization.

3. There are security apps in the market.

4. Only if you use something like k-9, I think that has an option for every minute. If you use it that frequently say goodbye to your battery life.

5. If you're running out of room you must have downloaded a ton of apps. You can move apps to the SD card that are created with that option. There is also an app that will recommend what apps should be moved, not sure it will prevent you from moving something that should not be moved.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get Apps Organizer for organizing your apps...very cool application, free. You can place shortcuts on your home screen for all sorts of categories of apps.

Try the Launcher Pro home screen replacement...

If you want BB sounds on your Droid, I was a BB user before, and put a thread on the Android Forums with a zip with a bunch of BB sounds...search for it in the Droid forum there if you're intersted...same screen name.

What email are you talking about - if it's Exchange email there is a push option - automatic, and Gmail should be push as well.

OP
C

Chumbles

Reaction score

Thank you!

1. There is at least one profiles app in the market, but from what I was told it doesn't allow you to lets say allow phone calls and text sounds to come through but not email. It's either phone calls on/off, or text/email on/off. I think that's pointless because you can turn down the sound of your notifications and still get phone calls. Not the same as a BB profile.

2. You can create folders on your home screens and move icons to that folder for organization.

3. There are security apps in the market.

4. Only if you use something like k-9, I think that has an option for every minute. If you use it that frequently say goodbye to your battery life.

5. If you're running out of room you must have downloaded a ton of apps. You can move apps to the SD card that are created with that option. There is also an app that will recommend what apps should be moved, not sure it will prevent you from moving something that should not be moved.
Well, I have 'blink' and it keeps telling me my memory is low...that isn't internal memory I guess, but the droid equivalent of 'RAM' maybe?

OP
C

Chumbles

Reaction score

The D2 has 8GB of internal storage, unless you have a lot of apps you shouldn't be running out of room...yet, if you would like to move apps2sd go into settings/applications/manage applications/ select an app and see if the "move to sd card" option is available

There are folder organizer and password protector apps available in the market and you can password protect the entire device by going into settings/location and security/set up lock screen

Hope this helps

I'm getting a message from the app 'blink' that says my active memory is low...is that because I have too many things running at one time?

OP
C

Chumbles

Reaction score
Thanks very miuch...I already feel like I can get answers here!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hope this helps

I'm getting a message from the app 'blink' that says my active memory is low...is that because I have too many things running at one time?

What is blink and why are you running it?

You would have to have installed a bazillion apps to be low on memory...I would tend to ignore Blink and let Android manage your phone/apps. :)

OP
C

Chumbles

Reaction score
Blink is an app in the market that allows LED customizing, and also monitors active memory use, and is set to alert the user when system resources are low

OP
C

Chumbles

Reaction score
Customize alerts for different email accounts?

Ok, thanks for all the input, I've figured out almost everything I was having trouble with. The one thing that's left...I have the Text, phone and email alerts customized, but I was hoping that I would be able to use different sounds for each of my email accounts (Yahoo, Verizon, Gmail and work) Right now, if I change the notifier for one, it changes all. Is there a way to do that

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for all the input, I've figured out almost everything I was having trouble with. The one thing that's left...I have the Text, phone and email alerts customized, but I was hoping that I would be able to use different sounds for each of my email accounts (Yahoo, Verizon, Gmail and work) Right now, if I change the notifier for one, it changes all. Is there a way to do that

One of the email client apps might do that like K9. Give that one a look.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if you change the notification for a Gmail account it changes the notification sound for an Email account? Never tried that, as I don't want email sound notifications, but that sure sounds like a bug...