New Verizon 4G LTE Samsung Phone to be Named the Droid Charge

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Thunderbolt is good but it does nothing in terms of being revolutionary in any way except having 4G capability. It's just another evolutionary phone, everyone is looking for that awesome device that's just on the horizon that is going to shake up the game, and if current trend is any indication, VZW isn't going to have it because they'll be too busy licking the teets of their new cash cow, Apple.

And I'm with Kate, it makes me sick. :(

adjangs

Reaction score
So this fuss is about RAM and CPU?

Could someone clue me in and say what you need a dual core for? I can think of games that have yet to come out and that's it. 1080p recording is supposedly doable with the Charge so it's not that...and let's not kid ourselves anyway by saying the 1080p coming out of phones is better than high quality 720p

This thread seemed like the best place to ask that because you're all obviously passionate about revolutionary specs. If it's games well I can understand that. I'm not a phone gamer so LTE and other specs become king.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Being a tech junkie you want the shiny new toy... which right now is dual-core, 3D, more RAM etc.

It's more frustration on our end that all of these manufacturers are coming out with new devices but they're road mapped for other carriers first, with VZW taking a back seat. It's becoming clear that VZW's commitment is to Apple, not Android, and it's a painful pill to swallow.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i agree with Huge/Hugh. while the TB is a nice solid device, i don't think it has much of a future. single core, 4.3" screen, etc... yawn. given it's specs, i have my doubts as to whether it will capable of updating to the new OS versions that are coming down the pike. and my fear is that the clamor for it (437 threads about a release date :)) could only reinforce VZW's decision to continue feeding us middle of the road devices...

i certainly hope i'm wrong, and that once VZW ropes in all of the iP users it will get back to bringing us the cutting edge/revolutionary devices utilizing the OS that has revolutionized the smart phone in just over a year.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Could someone clue me in and say what you need a dual core for? I can think of games that have yet to come out and that's it. 1080p recording is supposedly doable with the Charge so it's not that...and let's not kid ourselves anyway by saying the 1080p coming out of phones is better than high quality 720p

This thread seemed like the best place to ask that because you're all obviously passionate about revolutionary specs. If it's games well I can understand that. I'm not a phone gamer so LTE and other specs become king.

It's for the future. Right now, no it's not a must have but with Verizon making it harder and harder to upgrade early you're going to have to stick with the same phone for a lot longer. Also, with more and more manufacturers locking their hardware down it's getting harder to to put custom roms on phones which helps keep them up to date. Because of this, if your phone already doesn't have that great of specs it's just one more excuse the manufacturer can use for why they didn't send out an update for your phone to a new OS version. It's really about future proofing your phone, at least to me anyway. A lot of us still have OG Droids and the first Droid was revolutionary. So I think it's only right that we have another revolutionary phone to upgrade to, not one that isn't a whole lot better than the one we currently have.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

No, it's much more than that. Half of it is about being cutting edge. Performance is one aspect of that, features, hardware configuration, and generally setting trends in the market which outlasts the devices themselves are other aspects as well. Ram? Dual-core? Nice things, yea... but being cutting edge and setting trends at the forefront of technology innovation is fantastic. I'm sorry, but a market saturated with class B devices among the world of Apple will be erroneous and irrelevant. If this continues, in a year we shall look back at this defining moment and say to ourselves, "we nearly had them" as we muse amongst each-other from our iPhone 6's of the good old days of having device freedom with our Droid's and how fun and exciting the market used to be.

This is really about War, and now we're losing our front line and sense of strategy.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hugh Martin and Husker summed it up perfectly. Its frustrating to see the best android devices going to other carriers. We get stuck with the Thunderbolt and all these other mid tier phones and should be excited? These phones are not the future they are the past. I know that comment will ruffle a few feathers but its true. The future is now and the EVO 3D, LG Optimus 3D, Samsung Galaxy SII, Bionic are what we want. The arguememt about Dual Core not being optimized blah blah blah falls on deaf ears for those of us who want the newest and best tech. The tech is out there and its going everywhere else.

Extremely disappointing...

Droid--->ether--->this thread

M

Mwsr

Ill never buy another Samsung after having this fascinate,only thing good about it is the camera . I was going to get the TB but not all that impressive anymore.. I think ill root my fascinate and wait on the iPhone 5...

can + string on 2.1

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think ill root my fascinate and wait on the iPhone 5...

can + string on 2.1

unfortunately for many of us, i think this is VZW's strategy and we may not see any of the top tier phones until after the iP5 hub-bub has died down... :(

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Let's look at Quadrant scores. I know they arent supposed to mean much etc. But the Atrix is pulling 2400 to 2600 stock. Nothing else is doing that. I dont think any other available phone is even close to that..

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
What's all the fuss over this multiple core mumbo jumbo? "Dual" this, and "Quad" that. Just like desktop computers years ago. And where did that get us?

I'm using Windows 98 on a Pentium III with 512MBs of RAM. Why do people want more than that? I can run just about any progra

=================
An unexpected error has occurred

Event Type: Error
Event Source: UNKNOWN
Event Category: None
Bug Check String : INITIATED_CRASH
Bug Check Code : 0x000000e2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : UNKNOWN
Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+27fb
0x0000008e (0xc0000047, 0x8051d9bd, 0xf319d95c, 0x00000000)

Carrier Lost
=================

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
What is the i520 just below the Droid Charge on that list?

Thats the Stealth which also was ripped of quality hardware unlike it's "brother" the Galaxy SII.

Do yourself a favor and don't even look at the specs of the Galaxy SII. They are REALLY good....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hahahahahahahahaha Dusty!! LOL!!!

holy cow that was awesome.

Would make for a great sig lol

Droid--->ether--->this thread