New update fails to install

r3j2

Reaction score
So maybe these are dumb questions, but this is my first android phone. I tried to install the recent update, but it keeps failing. I rooted via z4root, and used titanium backup to remove some bloatware apps. I am assuming that the removed apps are what causes it to fail. What is the least painful way to get this update installed? I know that I could factory reset, but I don't want to lose contacts and such. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rog

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Well, I was a fool when I started using tibu. Didn't know it only saved data from stock apps. Anyone have apks for:

Browser 2.2.1
Messaging 2.2.1
DLNA
Weather 2.2.1
Alarm & Timer 2.2.1
3G mobile hotshot 2.2.1
Files 2.2.1

That should be it. Thanks in advance!

google123

Reaction score
I gotta tell you that since I initially got the Pro, I made changes using root explorer at times to the point also where my update would install either. I ended up using the SBF, factory reset it and the let it do the 2 updates released since the phone was released and THEN rooted with aroot and restored my apps using TiB.

However, just this afternoon, I decided the newest update was not worth it and went back to the SBF because I started getting random lockups and the phone has restarted on me twice just randomly. So at this point I'm back to factory SBF file.....

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Hmmm, good to know. Well, what we really need is for the fission team to get back to work on the pro rom. Hopefully that wasn't totally forgotten. I am tired of blur and Verizon's crap.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Flashing the SBF is probably going to be the best way for you to go at this point. After flashing it, make sure you don't try to root until after the latest update installs. Installing the update while rooted (even if you haven't removed any programs) causes problems.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Does flashing the usb mean that I have to wipe my sd card and cache?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

By flashing the SBF, you'll be completely wiping your phone and resetting it to the way it was out of the box. You shouldn't have to wipe your SD card, although some programs on there might not function correctly afterwards.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Ok. What about contacts? Could I just resync them using the backup assistant? Also, would I have to re activate my phone?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ok. What about contacts? Could I just resync them using the backup assistant? Also, would I have to re activate my phone?

You could resync them with backup assistant, but the easiest route is with the Gmail account you're using with the phone. If you allowed it do so, all of your contacts should be backed up with your account. Once you reactivate your phone (you may or may not have to reactivate with Verizon, but you will have to go through the initial Android setup steps again) with your Gmail account, all of your contacts will automatically be loaded onto the phone. No need to run a second program since you have to do that anyway. You'll also be able to restore purchases made from the market.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for all the help. I guess flashing the sbf is the way to go. I guess I will find out if this update is worth the hassle.

kjjb0204

Reaction score

By flashing the SBF, you'll be completely wiping your phone and resetting it to the way it was out of the box. You shouldn't have to wipe your SD card, although some programs on there might not function correctly afterwards.

Flashing the sbf doesn't delete user data and apps. It's only flashing the stock image, but doesn't touch the app and user data storage. If you want to get completely back to factory, after flashing the sbf you need to do a full factory reset.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Flashing the sbf doesn't delete user data and apps. It's only flashing the stock image, but doesn't touch the app and user data storage. If you want to get completely back to factory, after flashing the sbf you need to do a full factory reset.

The man is correct.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Perfect. I don't actually don't want a full factory reset. I'll want to root it again, but I'll just freeze the apps I don't want instead of deleting them. I really just want to get this update and see what it improves.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks again for the info about the sbf. I used sbf_flash and it went off without a hitch, no boot loop, no data loss. Absolutely flawless. Downloading the updates now.

Also: one more question for future reference. Is installing a custom rom similar to installing an sbf? I know that there is that rc of fission out there for the pro, but I am not committed enough to try it if it will wipe everything on my phone. Also, I have pretty much all the apps I want from the market, so it wouldn't bother me if the market was still broken on fission.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just wanted to say thanks again for the info about the sbf. I used sbf_flash and it went off without a hitch, no boot loop, no data loss. Absolutely flawless. Downloading the updates now.

Also: one more question for future reference. Is installing a custom rom similar to installing an sbf? I know that there is that rc of fission out there for the pro, but I am not committed enough to try it if it will wipe everything on my phone. Also, I have pretty much all the apps I want from the market, so it wouldn't bother me if the market was still broken on fission.

Installing a custom rom is more like installing the system update than flashing a sbf. But when flashing a rom that is completely different from the one you're currently running (not just an update to the current rom), it is always advisable to do a complete factory reset and wipe of all of your data. Leftover fragments and pieces from one rom often don't play well with a completely different rom.