New to droid.. ice cream sandwich

beaky73

Reaction score
Hello to all. This is my first droid so i am learning. I use have an iphone. From what i understand is i have ginger bread. What is ice cream sandwich? Will it be an update for the bionic? Or does it come on the razer and other new phones?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jspencer67

Reaction score
ICS is the newest OS build for Android......and it will be a game changer. Played with it some today and was incredibly impressed by it.....simple....responsive.....eye pleasing

yes it will be updated to the Bionic sometime in the first quarter of next year......but I am SURE that there will be full ICS mods available within the next month. Cynogen got the source code on Nov 15th and tweeted his would be done in two months

welcome back from the Dark Side......it wont take long and you will be real happy with your decision

Tonik

Reaction score
This is my first droid so i am learning.

You got your answer from others so I will only add congrats. And you found a great site to learn from. A ton of very helpful and very knowledgeable people here. And minimal message board drama.

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I have learned alot thanks to this forum.

Concistency

Reaction score
I'm hearing that Ice Cream Sandwich will not be released until probably the summer of 2012. Like said above, it's the latest Android 4.0. If your a root user, there is a TH3ORY rom in Alpha 8 stage now if you want to test it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also there is no official date on the release. You may see several threads where someone has talked to somebody at Moto or Verizon and have been given a date, but each one gets a different answer.

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
What is a root user?

Dweib

Reaction score
Yeah and what do you guys mean by "doing a rom"? I've been building desktop PC's for the past 20 years and we say "do a BIOS update". To me doing a rom is going in and physically changing the ROM chip. So explain.
Apparently PC modders and smartphone modders are still doing basically the same thing only using different lingo. Right?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is a root user?

A root user is someone who has rooted their phone. From THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking) (ignore the title; it's an old post)

First question we'll tackle is "what is root?":
To have root access on a linux based system such as android means you have the equivalent access of Administrator on a Windows based computer. You will have unrestricted full access to nearly all aspects of the android system stack.

Second question "why would i want to obtain root access on my phone":
For those of us who would like an extreme level of control over our phone's files, root access is a necessity. Having a rooted phone gives the end user unprecedented control over the phone, enabling them to have limitless possibilities. Essentially unlocking your phone's full potential. With root/superuser access on your phone you would be able to flash modified roms (roms from other devices) , have access to certain functions on "root only" applications (example: wireless tether for root users - ability to tether your phone). The possibilities are endless.

Yeah and what do you guys mean by "doing a rom"? I've been building desktop PC's for the past 20 years and we say "do a BIOS update". To me doing a rom is going in and physically changing the ROM chip. So explain.
Apparently PC modders and smartphone modders are still doing basically the same thing only using different lingo. Right?

As mentioned, the ROM is a change from what your phone looks like and does. From What is ROM? - Android Forums

Literally it stands for Read Only Memory, in this case referring to the phone's internal memory where your firmware/apps are stored. When people say they're flashing a new ROM, it means they are flashing a new version of the firmware onto their phone - the two terms are interchangeable.

A custom ROM might have performance tweaks, new features such as overclocking and so on.

See also Custom ROMs For Android Explained - Here Is Why You Want Them

Last edited:
OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
Is it hard to root a phone. Can u root a phone with the new update. I am guessing u can unroot a phone. Thanks again fir the info..

Concistency

Reaction score
Is it hard to root a phone. Can u root a phone with the new update. I am guessing u can unroot a phone. Thanks again fir the info..

Rooting the Droid Bionic is very simple, check out the hacking/rooting section of the Bionic. Don't know too much about rooting with the new update, most people were already rooted and used 4EVER root, but should be able too, I would research that first.

Dweib

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanations. At the moment I have no desire to root. But I'm glad I have friends here that will guide me if/when I do.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanations. At the moment I have no desire to root. But I'm glad I have friends here that will guide me if/when I do.

And a rescue squad to help if you have problems (no sarcasm intended).

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score

From one PC builder to another... flashing a custom ROM could best be compared to ghosting a new disk image onto your boot drive. Android is open source (you may see the acronym AOSP = Android Open Source Project) which means that anyone with the skills can download the source and develop their own custom version. So different ROMs have different features, settings, etc. Hope that helps. If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or PM me.