Updating Bionic to ice cream sandwich.

McGyver777

Reaction score
This is my first Droid phone and I have been wondering how the major upgrades are handled by providers.

Is the upgrade normally over the air or is it more involved through a laptop?

How long after ice cream sandwich is out/released will we be waiting to know/see if our beloved bionics will upgrade? Will "rooters" get there first?

I have yet, and doubt I will, root unless it takes Verizon a really long time to get it to us and I see a method of "getting my ice cream" early.

Any Input? Anyone who has been around for other Android upgrades...dish for us noobs!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
The official updates come over the air. The rooters do usually get access to leaked versions before the official comes out. On my Droid X, Gingerbread took almost a year from the phones release date.

Tegamal

Reaction score
In the past, Motorola took a while to roll the OTA updates out, but that could change with the Google/Moto deal, but don't hold your breath.

Usually, rooted users will not get an OTA update, or if they do, it would most likely remove root access.

Oh, & one last thing: the arrival date for any & all updates will be "Soon" :icon_wink:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, in the past updates for the Android were OTA (with my Voyager I had to go into a Verizon store) and it was COMPLETELY random. When the OG Droid got its first update a Google map was created allowing you to "stick a pin" in your location and date. There was NO rhyme or reason; in fact, if you had bought 2 Droids at the same time one might get the update weeks before the second one.

That being said, some people on the forum are able to capture the update and post it here. That way you could download it to your phone and install the update that way. With the OG Droid we had access to the update the Verizon stores had in case the OTA update didn't work (the OTA update was smaller and was just patches while the Verizon store version was a full install). Maybe that'll happen here.

Generally "rooters" turn off their updates, as updates might ruin what they've done with their phone. For example, with the OG Droid, there was a handy 1-Step root that the last update blocked that ability.

Last edited:

yiannis

Reaction score
Gain root access and it should not take too long to find the leaked versions. I would wait for a few kinks to be ironed out before I downloaded it and would check quadrant scores to see what performance enhancements it might offer over 2.3.4.

Official Motorola OTA will take time, my wild guess is 4-6 months following official release.