New to Droid forums cuz I need 'smart'phone or smart people to help me w my droid

Ryele

Reaction score
Hi I have had a droid for over 2 years. I currently have a droid x 2.3.3 running the 4.5.607....I think?!? I have finally decided to root my phone...I finally want full access to my phone and I want to learn all I can about using it and of course I am having trouble. I have tried and tried, I have tried so much I reactivated my phone and installed the root form my files, nothing good came of it yet. I get an error after 15 minutes and battery pulls it always pops up this annoying message saying it stopped unexpectedly. I have run both the z4root version 1 and the 1.3, SO needless to say I think its gotta be an error on my part but am hoping its on the part of my phone or some software. Other downfall might be that I have a MAC, no PC so I have been trying it all from my phone...OK wonderful Droid users, can you help me?!? IF so Thanks in advance, if not thanks anyway! Have a good one.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to DF! I'll let someone with a Droid X come help you with the rooting issue. I have an Incredible so I'm not familiar with Motorola rooting procedures.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droidforums!!

You are having trouble using z4 because it will no longer work on moto droids running 2.3.3 and you are probably running 4.5.605 (latest OTA). In this instance you need to use the "droid 3 one-click root method", which requires a computer. I know which one I use but I use windows so it will not work with a mac.

OP
R

Ryele

Reaction score
Thank you (both) for replying,

oops you are right I am running 4.5.605 so yes it will not work, glad to know its not me. I wish I could go back. I am going to look up the droid 3 one click...Thanks for the info I will try some more research. I will definitely try that route. I have not had much success since my last phone got eaten by a lawnmower , so wish me luck.
Welcome to Droidforums!!

You are having trouble using z4 because it will no longer work on moto droids running 2.3.3 and you are probably running 4.5.605 (latest OTA). In this instance you need to use the "droid 3 one-click root method", which requires a computer. I know which one I use but I use windows so it will not work with a mac.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thank you (both) for replying,

oops you are right I am running 4.5.605 so yes it will not work, glad to know its not me. I wish I could go back. I am going to look up the droid 3 one click...Thanks for the info I will try some more research. I will definitely try that route. I have not had much success since my last phone got eaten by a lawnmower , so wish me luck.

No problem, I just happened to know the system version numbers from using the X so no biggie there. And I am sure you can use the method on a mac I just do not have the instructions or any links handy to share with you. It is a very easy method to use just requires the pc. And if you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask!

OP
R

Ryele

Reaction score
Rooted my droid x 2.3.3 4.5.605 !!

found it thanks...posting it here in case anyone else ever need the directions!!! I am ROOTED!!! YAY!!! :icon_ lala::icon_ banana::hail::icon_ devil::icon_ lala::icon_ banana:

Linux and MacOS Versions (advanced)

This one click method will root your phone that has a Froyo or Gingerbread ROM. It must be run on your computer and should work on any Linux distro or MacOS.

1. Download the Droid Easy Root v7d.zip file from HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder.
2. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
3. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
4. Open terminal and change the path to the folder you extracted in step #1, then execute the "run_to_root_your_droid3.sh" script to open the one click root tool.
5. Follow the onscreen instruction. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

MacOS Version (beginner)

1. Download the Droid Easy Root v7d.zip file from HERE.
2. If the
.zip file doesn't unzip itself, double click to open, a folder of the same name will appear
3. Find the file path of the new folder, right click new folder and select Get Info, the file path appears on the left side
4. Open Terminal (
applications
>utilities>terminal)
5. Change directory to the new folder (the file path you found earlier) the following file path is an example:
Code:

cd /Users/yourname/Downloads/droid_easy_root_v7
then hit enter, your terminal prompt will change to the new directory (terminal commands are case sensitive)
You can also simply drag and drop the new folder from Finder into Terminal after typing cd (and a space) to get the file path
6. On your DX, be sure USB debugging is turned on (settings>applications>development>USB debugging)
7. Connect the DX to your Mac and select Charge Only from the notification bar.
8. While still in terminal and now in the proper directory type:
Code:

./run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
Then enter (again, case sensitive)
9. Follow the on screen instructions in Terminal, your phone will reboot three times during the process
10. Enjoy root!

More info on all the root procedures mentioned above, can be found HERE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
See I told you it was easy lol. Glad you got it working already :icon_ lala:

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site and congrats on getting rooted!~ dancedroid

OP
R

Ryele

Reaction score
Thank you all...if anyone ever has any really good downloads they would like to recommend or share I am always up for great downloads, new ideas, interesting stuff, and fun things that work. Thanks again! I am so very glad i joined this forum. Totally saved me. I tried for over a week to figure it out on my own and I signed up and got my main objective fixed in 1 day.

Jonas

Reaction score
Now a word of caution. Stay out of your framework and system files, unless you know what you are doing. I have seen countless people try to go beyond what they know and it gets real ugly real quick. Just take it slow, and read before you try. With that said, congrats on the root, and best of luck on flashing a ROM should you decide to go down that route.

OP
R

Ryele

Reaction score
Now a word of caution. Stay out of your framework and system files, unless you know what you are doing. I have seen countless people try to go beyond what they know and it gets real ugly real quick. Just take it slow, and read before you try. With that said, congrats on the root, and best of luck on flashing a ROM should you decide to go down that route.

Thanks...I will be cautious I need my phone and dont wish to mess it up, however, I have done nothing yet with it, still making sure I am good before I go. I was going to start by trying to set up a wireless wifi hotspot because I was told that was easy too, but when I went to download some stuff from the marketplace it wont download unless I am using wifi to do it. Is that normal? I don't remember ever having issues downloading anything without wifi?!? I used to always download games and other stuff while riding in the car for long trips.

Thanks for your advice and any further info you may have, Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jonas

Reaction score
Thanks...I will be cautious I need my phone and dont wish to mess it up, however, I have done nothing yet with it, still making sure I am good before I go. I was going to start by trying to set up a wireless wifi hotspot because I was told that was easy too, but when I went to download some stuff from the marketplace it wont download unless I am using wifi to do it. Is that normal? I don't remember ever having issues downloading anything without wifi?!? I used to always download games and other stuff while riding in the car for long trips.

Thanks for your advice and any further info you may have, Thanks to anyone who can help!

The only thing I can think of is some apps will only update over wifi because their updates are so large they would slow down your phone tremendously. Or maybe you are just getting spotty 3G coverage? I dunno, but rooting shouldn't have anything to do with that. Also, if you can't find a wwifi tethering app, let me know I can help you out.

silver6054

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is some apps will only update over wifi because their updates are so large they would slow down your phone tremendously. Or maybe you are just getting spotty 3G coverage? I dunno, but rooting shouldn't have anything to do with that. Also, if you can't find a wwifi tethering app, let me know I can help you out.

Look in Settings>battery and data..... there is a data saver option, if checked this allows market etc only under wifi. (For those on limited data plans) if it is checked, uncheck it!
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
R

Ryele

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is some apps will only update over wifi because their updates are so large they would slow down your phone tremendously. ~~~~ Also, if you can't find a wwifi tethering app, let me know I can help you out.

Thanks. That is what it said, I just dont remember ever getting that message before. Wanted to double check with someone with a more 'rooted' experience.

Also, I am looking into which app to use for the wifi tether so I will gladly accept your recommendation.

Thanks so much