droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I just updated....not noticing any difference..

from my sexy edge+

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wednesday night my new N5 decided to install a system update when I restarted it. Because I can now recreate exactly what this did, I'll take pictures of the screens. This is the screen igot for the system update. It lasted about a minute.
e513d6a03c98364f99ce41fa8dae6319.jpg

After, this update it went into a never ending bootloop where it would not get past this screen...
2b4dc48f6607baae1bf2fb3db90dc7b6.jpg

After this I tried to go into safe mode. This is the screen I got trying to access that using volume down-home-power.
be64e99ef7aff72709e82949c418c0e4.jpg

Then I tried to go into system recovery. I got the installing system update screen first then the system recovery screen.
7ef2976a33907822e1ac76f66bcf7e0b.jpg

From there, I tried clearing cache partition. No luck. Then I tried factory data reset. No luck. Kept getting the boot loop.

Went to Verizon. They ordered me a replacement phone. I had to use my super old Samsung Droid Charge for two days (amazing that thing went through three years of use between three people and it still works). The Verizon reps said that they received notice that a bad batch of updates went out.

On Thursday I decided to see if the Samsung rep at Best Buy could restore my phone. Initially he thought it would be no problem. All he would have to do is flash the Factory OS but each time he tried it failed. He said that apparently the new system update that tried to install on my phone was missing a critical file that is needed to flash any OS.

I thought for sure I would look on DF and see that others had received this bad update but no... just me. Definitely some people did because the Verizon reps had already been alerted to expect problems as a result. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that. This seems ridiculous to me, the patches that are being sent out to fix stage fright ate causing more harm than fixes for some people. This entire stahefrigjt thing was so blown out of proportion in my opinion. Our phones are more susceptible to a bad website than they are to ever receiving a malicious text sent specifically to our phone number.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry to hear that. This seems ridiculous to me, the patches that are being sent out to fix stage fright ate causing more harm than fixes for some people. This entire stahefrigjt thing was so blown out of proportion in my opinion. Our phones are more susceptible to a bad website than they are to ever receiving a malicious text sent specifically to our phone number.

I don't think this would've been the stage fright patch. I think the Note 5 already got it, since we got it on our Note 4s quite some time ago.

I agree though. Funny that carriers hold OS updates for so long for testing & etc & you can still end up getting a bad update like this.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

I agree. I actually got rid of Textra a couple weeks ago and went back to GoSMS Pro. (I prefer the ui of Go over Textra) I just don't see a cause for concern regarding this whole Stagefright business. There has yet to be a single instance reported in which this has affected anyones device. (At least none that I've read about)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This latest update came through on my replacement N5. It actually had a progress bar, took a few minutes and then went through the process of updating my apps when the phone restarted. Unlike my original N5 where it did nothing except show the updating android guy for a few seconds then went into the boot loop.

ffontaine

Reaction score
Did the update on my S6 this morning. Was a little worried that the update would break PDANET/Foxfi. It did not, still works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Douggo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Well, I know it turned my square icons into an old TV-tube rounded shape... ;)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well, I know it turned my square icons into an old TV-tube rounded shape... ;)
Did you choose a theme for your phone prior to the update. Each theme has its own style of icons. If so, it could be that the update restored the stock icons instead of the ones that were related to the theme.

Btw, welcome to DF!

Douggo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Did you choose a theme for your phone prior to the update. Each theme has its own style of icons. If so, it could be that the update restored the stock icons instead of the ones that were related to the theme.

Btw, welcome to DF!

Don't recall having chosen a theme. Maybe I did. Thanks for the welcome!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not sure what the stock icon theme was before or after the update, so it's very possible that the update changed them. Check out the Samsung themes. There are lots of free choices and they definitely will have something that suits your tastes. I'm currently using the Rotox theme.