New Nielsen Report Indicates Android Doubled Adoption Rate of iOS Over Last 3 Months

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

A new report from the marketing analysis company, Nielsen, shows that people who purchased smartphones over the last 3 months, bought twice as many Android phones as they did iPhones. According to the research, during the last 3 month period, ending in August, 56% of all smartphones bought by consumers were Androids, while 28% were the iPhone, 9% were Blackberry, and the final 6% were listed as "other."

[​IMG]

Also, here's a quote from the BGR article with a few more tidbits,
    It'll be interesting to see how much the release of the iPhone 5 will impact Android sales, and for how long. If memory serves me, the last time this happened, when Verizon got the iPhone 4, things didn't swing toward Apple for very long... maybe a month or two. Still, even if that does happen, Apple's iOS has a big deficit to hurdle. It is unlikely they will surpass these numbers. What do you guys think?

Source: BGR and Nielsen
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Don't think it will hurt it that much. if anything, it will be all the trendy people buying a new iPhone to replace their existing one. Apple releases one new phone will Android gets many new phones all year long. New technology is always right there while you have to not only wait for the new iPhone to come out, but usually the next iPhone too.
  3. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Really, only one way to summarize my thoughts:

View attachment 40814

(watch someone one-up me by Droid-ifying that meme)
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

The IP5 will be a little different as many were locked into AT&T (still are) and/or waiting for the IP5 when VZW launched the IPhone. So the market share will swing a fair amount because they get a huge surge around the annual release of their new model. Not sure what that amounts to, maybe 25% higher sales those few months after launch? So that would bump their share probably between 4-8% in Q4, and that's not all coming at the expense of Android (which has some very competitive phones coming out in its own right).
  5. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Apple has maintained it's marketshare, for the most part, for the last year or so at about 28-30% and I think you may see that number increase a bit but at this point with all the phones Android has out and some big hitters lined up, it probably won't take a huge chunk away but the iPhone 5 will undoubtedly be the number 1 selling phone by far.
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Technically 3-4 phones, it's all generally reported as one but they are actually selling 3 generations to hit all price points. In that regard, Sammie is getting closer and mostly has multiple models of one line of phones, though there are more variants/names for different carriers.
  7. OneTenderRebel

The highest priced one will still be the top selling phone by far even if there are two other variants.
  8. OneTenderRebel

It's not that Apple is any better, but loyal Apple customers have 2 choices really iPhone3g or iPhone4 so naturally those were the two highest selling smartphones and now if rumors prove true you have 3 more options, my guess is the 3gs is phased out completely and you will have 4 iPhones as opposed to what 100 android phones? So while the iPhone may sell more volume wise, doesn't necessarily equate to marketshare, although I do think it will take a small percentage back from Android.
  9. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

It's a game of numbers; Apple has one (1) - one iPhone. Yes there are different models of the iPhone but with each new model the older models become less relevant. Whereas Android has... a plethora of phones. Phones from different manufactures with different features and specs. Thus comparing the sales figures of Android phones (emphasis on the plural) to the sales figures of Apple's phone (singular) then in reality the numbers are skewed. A more balanced comparison would be to compare the iPhone to each individual Android device and see how it measures up. But by lumping ALL Android phones together it really inflates the results. In the end I don't think Apple is losing any sleep over this.
  10. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

That is why the comparison is based on OS. You cannot compare phone by phone sales. It is Apples choice to only make one phone and that decision had cost them money in the long run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. OneTenderRebel

I agree it's fair to compare OS to OS but I think Apple is perfectly ok with their one phone and also being the wealthiest company on earth. I don't really see how they have lost money.
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Apples fine always has been. Marketshare is not something they're going to retake but as mentioned already they have the most sales among all oems and the highest margins. I'm sure they don't mind.
  13. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Put another way the 28% all belongs to Apple while the 56% is divided up among a multitude of brands so I doubt any one of the Android manufactures have 28% of that 56%. It is cool to see that people prefer choice over Apple's one-size-fits-all approach.
  14. Tuktanuk

Tuktanuk New Member

Just great! now Apple has even MORE reason to start another lawsuit. Maybe it will be against Neilsen ratings this time for not calculating the results on an iPad2.
  15. erickkincaid

erickkincaid New Member

Iphone users have very limited options, and all models of Iphone have similarity in overall looks, it makes a boring impression :blink:
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Android and iPhone market share...thats good n all. Nothing much has changed over the past 12 months. I'm interested in the 6%. Read an article about the Samsung Wave, running Bada selling 10 million phones since 2010. Thats kinda wild if it's outsold WP7..
  17. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

What are Apple's real models? White or Black? 32gb or 64gb?
  18. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

I'm curious to see how people are going to react to the iPhone 5 when it's released. I know three people who have replaced their Android smartphone with the current iPhone because they thought it was easier to use and had fewer software glitches. Battery life was also a major factor in their decision to go with iOS as opposed to Android, so I can't help but wonder how many other consumers will feel the same way. I think many of the changes that Apple has made to their latest OS iteration will make the transition from Android for these people even easier.

Now don't get me wrong! I definitely consider myself to be an Android loyalist/fanboy, and I was sad to see these people join the "dark side". However, all three of the people I know who have made that jump couldn't be happier with their decision. It'll be interesting to see how many people stay with the little green robot once the new offering from the Cupertino boys is available.
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Ditto, should be an interesting quarter for both sides.
  20. OneTenderRebel

I think you will get your Apple loyalists, current iPhone upgraders and a mix of Android users buying it, so I mean the sales will be huge for the iPhone itself but as far as the market share is concerned, I don't see it being a major blow to Android.