New Nielsen Report Indicates Android Doubled Adoption Rate of iOS Over Last 3 Months

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android and iPhone market share...thats good n all. Nothing much has changed over the past 12 months. I'm interested in the 6%. Read an article about the Samsung Wave, running Bada selling 10 million phones since 2010. Thats kinda wild if it's outsold WP7..

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm curious to see how people are going to react to the iPhone 5 when it's released. I know three people who have replaced their Android smartphone with the current iPhone because they thought it was easier to use and had fewer software glitches. Battery life was also a major factor in their decision to go with iOS as opposed to Android, so I can't help but wonder how many other consumers will feel the same way. I think many of the changes that Apple has made to their latest OS iteration will make the transition from Android for these people even easier.

Now don't get me wrong! I definitely consider myself to be an Android loyalist/fanboy, and I was sad to see these people join the "dark side". However, all three of the people I know who have made that jump couldn't be happier with their decision. It'll be interesting to see how many people stay with the little green robot once the new offering from the Cupertino boys is available.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how people are going to react to the iPhone 5 when it's released. I know three people who have replaced their Android smartphone with the current iPhone because they thought it was easier to use and had fewer software glitches. Battery life was also a major factor in their decision to go with iOS as opposed to Android, so I can't help but wonder how many other consumers will feel the same way. I think many of the changes that Apple has made to their latest OS iteration will make the transition from Android for these people even easier.

Now don't get me wrong! I definitely consider myself to be an Android loyalist/fanboy, and I was sad to see these people join the "dark side". However, all three of the people I know who have made that jump couldn't be happier with their decision. It'll be interesting to see how many people stay with the little green robot once the new offering from the Cupertino boys is available.

Ditto, should be an interesting quarter for both sides.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you will get your Apple loyalists, current iPhone upgraders and a mix of Android users buying it, so I mean the sales will be huge for the iPhone itself but as far as the market share is concerned, I don't see it being a major blow to Android.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you will get your Apple loyalists, current iPhone upgraders and a mix of Android users buying it, so I mean the sales will be huge for the iPhone itself but as far as the market share is concerned, I don't see it being a major blow to Android.

Yeah Apple will get some share points, but not enough to dethrone Android obviously and probably more so at the expense of RIM. Sales wise I think its a given that this time next year, the iPhone5(4s?) will be the best selling smartphone in the world, but that's nothing new really

Reaction score
I agree it's fair to compare OS to OS but I think Apple is perfectly ok with their one phone and also being the wealthiest company on earth. I don't really see how they have lost money.

When I say they lost money by only making one phone, I am referring to lost opportunity for additional customers. Considering how many phones are out with Android and some of them have very slight differences, it is proof that consumers want choices.

For example there is a market of consumers that hate on screen keyboards and prefer the real keyboard on the Droid 3. If Apple made an iPhone with a slide out keyboard, I am sure they would have sold plenty of those. But by not making a slide out keyboard, they guarantee that 100% of those customers will go to Android.

It is the basics of the economic market. Supply and demand. The demand by consumers drives the supply and the market. Apple seems to think that they can decide what to supply and consumers can just go elsewhere if they don't like it. That equates to lost revenue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I say they lost money by only making one phone, I am referring to lost opportunity fire additional customers. Considering how many phones are out with Android and some if then have very slight differences, it is proof that consumers want choices.

For example there is a market of consumers that hate on screen keyboards and prefer the real keyboard on the Droid 3. If Apple made an iPhone with a slide out keyboard, I ask sure they would have sold plenty off those. But by bout making a slider out keyboard, they guarantee that 100% of those customers will go to Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

yeah, that is definitely true, wonder if the rumors of more than one iPhone being announced prove true will include a slider. For some reason I don't see Apple making a slider phone though.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
yeah, that is definitely true, wonder if the rumors of more than one iPhone being announced prove true will include a slider. For some reason I don't see Apple making a slider phone though.

Apple Denied Rights To "Multi-touch"

With this going on, they won't make a keyboard phone. They need the touch phone to keep up the lawsuit and that it's their termology.

My own personal opinion is that they won't every do a keyboard phone or tablet.

Back on topic, I can see their shares growing with the iPhone 5, even people who bought the iPhone 4 on Verizon (if the 5 is on Verizon). Then the next quarter Android will probably go up again with those buying new phones or upgrading.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well it wasn't a lawsuit, just a request to trademark the phrase multi-touch. Which they were denied of, so that pretty much ends that. Plus a slide out can still be multi touch.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When I say they lost money by only making one phone, I am referring to lost opportunity for additional customers. Considering how many phones are out with Android and some of them have very slight differences, it is proof that consumers want choices. /QUOTE]

While true, it's probably overstated. Some people buy phones on the "look", but I think the majority are actually buying the OS (and for VZW for some time, and still Sprint, Android was the only choice). Sure, we'll choose one phone over the other for relatively immaterial reasons, but don't expect a lot of platform switching.

Obviously a keyboard and/or some different screen sizes would increase sales, and there's always something to be said for more options spurring demand, but a lot of it would just cannibalize existing IPhone sales. Just like the huge crush of sales and switchers never materialzied with the VZW IPhone, most people who wanted an IPhone bought one, even if it wasn't perfect and even if it was AT&T. The fact their marketshare has remained remarkably consistent even as the market has grown rapidly tells me the brand trumps all - specs and styling don't matter (not saying it isn't very good) they just want an IPhone (or it makes more sense being locked into ITunes). It matters far more with Android because there's no such ubiquitous brand (outside of, perhaps, the Galaxy line in Korea) - if they want sales they have to differentiate, although a lot probably sell just by virtue of a customer walking into a store and going for the latest.

The key difference here is Apples strategy has always been one or a few models and convince people it's a product for everyone, rather than try to create products for different people. What other companies attempt to do with complete product lines Apple tries to pre-empt with marketing. And it works, for them.