New Member, Wifi advantages?

Karlrj

Reaction score
Just got my HTC Droid Incredible and love it! Switched from BB Storm, which I thought was cool at the time. Too slow to be useful.
Can some one explain the advantages of the wifi? Do searches use the wifi instead of verizon when it is available?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The wifi network will be faster than the cellphone network. You will use the web through wifi, automatically, if it is available and you have it turned on.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
WiFi advantages are -- lower power consumption (better battery life), faster data transfer speeds when compared to 3G, and no data plan usage (important if you're not on an unlimited data plan).

OP
K

Karlrj

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought I read, "turning your wifi off would save battery". Your saying the wifi uses less battery power than the cell network for web searches?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Turning WiFi off when you're not using it will save beaucoup juice versus letting it sit there and scan and scan and scan. If you have access to a WiFi network, use it. The data transfer is faster and it's easier on the battery. Think about it -- WiFi is over, what, 200 feet? 3G can go miles. Which one do you think will take more battery power to use long-term? The only difference is WiFi tethering. Using it will drain your battery super-fast.