New member w/ questions!

ryanlloyd80

Reaction score
HI yall! New Member but do not own a droid. yet. I am very close to switching to verizon but I have a few questions. I have had an iphone for the past three years & always feel restricted. I have it jailbroken but its always a process if you run into a problem at the wrong time( have to update w/ no jail;break).

My question: I have an iphone 4 & want to know what makes a droid X or incredible better than a jailbroken iphone4? I'm kinda attached to my iphone but Steve Jobs ego && apple have me so iritated & its time for a change. Just want to make sure before I pay the $350 to buy out the contract

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
How long do you have left on your contract? Because $350 is a serious whack on top of the cost of a new phone.

Not that the X or D2 or Incredible or Fascinate aren't better in so many ways, (or the phones just around the corner so much more awesome it's scary) just... Ouch. :)

lakas187

Reaction score
I cancelled 3 iphone contracts with att less than 3 weeks ago... Their network sucks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
R

ryanlloyd80

Reaction score
I have 1 1/2 years left. $ not a big deal I can sell my iphone 4 and it pretty much covers the buy out & new phone- Almost!

Is a rooted droid x that much better than a jailbroken iphone?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
In a word?

Oh my gods yes! Flash video, themes, ROMs, overclocking/underclocking... Tethering -- basically you name it and you can do it. There are a lot of apps that aren't available for the Droid right now that are available on the iPhone, but that's changing on a daily basis.

Basically, what are you looking to do with it and someone here might know if it's possible. :)

OP
R

ryanlloyd80

Reaction score
I would like to be able to tether w/ the $20 charge - be able to customize it w/o having to dig so deep into the jailbroken stuff. I hate always having to worry about something going wrong with the phone & having to restore it & not having a jailbreak available( this happened to me for 6 months earlier this year & then phone was worthless). Do the droids sync & back up as easily as the iphone?

OP
R

ryanlloyd80

Reaction score
What is overclocking/underclocking. Sorry bout all the questions. I don't know why but I am always worry about a change in cell phones!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sync and back up? Yes and no. On the plus side you are no longer locked into iTunes. On the down side you don't have that instant backup capability... But you can install backup apps (Titanium Backup, for example) that let you back up to your SD card so you don't lose anything.

An X can always be reset by SBF and RSD Lite. The process is relatively simple and foolproof, but not without risk -- if the USB cable comes unplugged during the flash you can break your phone without repair. But there are leaks and ROMs and... Yeah, the support and ease is just unbelieveable. SBF will put your phone back to stock. You'll have to reroot, but that's not that big a deal.

In my signature you'll see a link to two apps called root-only [wired or WiFi] tethering. They allow you to tether computers without a problem, but don't try a gaming system -- if nothing else the lag involved as well as the limited bandwidth will cause issues and run up such a high data amount that Verizon might cancel your account. It's happened.

Overclocking; running your phone's CPU at a higher clock rate to boost performance. Underclocking; the exact opposite of what I just said. Why underclock? Battery life and lower heat levels.