What is going on!

Milk With Pulp

Reaction score
Well lets get the party started, the name is Scott, currently not a Verizon or Droid user.
Have the I-phone 3g, upgrade to the 3gs was futile for me due to jail breaking allowed for the same functions besides a few left out. Currently the phone ear speaker went out and now I am debating on **** canning ATT and going over to verizon.

I have never owned a phone or went to the Verizon network, checked out the droid, I know about rooting linux based machines somewhat and what the bonuses are to it, just as the bonuses are to a jailbroken unlocked iphone.

I am out in Southern California, Los Angeles area, Antelope Valley more so, looking into just canceling my contract for the 175 and buying the droid and setting up a verizon account.

The phone alone I have already heard a lot about, I am tech savvy and know a decent amount. I know what the i phone can do etc, bla bla bla who cares. The non droid fan boys and the non i phone fan boys, my question to you is, how is the Verizon network vs att? So far from the phone specs and what I have seen, I like the phone, seems the app store is growing day by day, looking forward to moving to verizon.

Spectral

Reaction score
I don't know about your area directly but in the greater Seattle area that I am in the Verizon network is 10x more reliable than ATT. I had less problems when I was with T-Mobile than my friends who had ATT.

cid340

Reaction score
I'll shoot straight

Scott,
I've been on Verizon for 3 years now. Before that, I was with Sprint. Night and Day difference; it would take a LOT to convince me to return to Sprint after all that I've been through. I live in Eastern Virginia, and am a gigging musician (i.e. we travel a lot...mostly up and down the East Coast). Half of the band has AT&T, the other half Verizon. When we are on the road, and the AT&T guys start complaining they lost signal, I look down at my phone and see at LEAST 2 bars...I'm hard pressed to think of an exception. Ok...once: we were playing in Long Island, NY in May...on some back roads I lost service for about 1 minute: I remember laughing b/c I was thinking "omg...this NEVER happens". 3 years. 3.

Now, I cant really comment on Verizon's effective coverage on the West Coast. But I CAN tell you this: the coverage is often at least decent in places you expect it to NOT be...so if you're near LA, I'd bet it's pristine. (ask around just to make sure).

Also, I personally have had nothing but great experiences with Verizon customer service...and believe me, Spint was HELL in that department (in all fairness, I've heard they've gotten better, but I don't care TBH).

I had the Droid; it's def. a great device. I returned mine to Best Buy b/c the damn touch buttons were purple, and the light sensor on THAT particular one was a lil over-sensitive (they aren't supposed to be...even VZW suggestied I return it)...plus there are a few things I want to see them iron out before I commit. If you're curious as to what they are, feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps :)

Legality

Reaction score
I Love Verizon and My Droid!

The only reason I don't own an iPhone is that Verizon doesn't have them. So far, I love my Droid.

Five years ago, I was an AT&T customer. I had terrible coverage even though I can see a tower from my house. I frequently had to go outside to make calls and had a lot of dropped calls.

I live in Central Florida and three major hurricanes struck our area in the summer of 2004. After the first one, Charley, I walked my neighborhood at 6 a.m. to survey the damage. The only person in our neighborhood who could make calls was the guy who had Verizon (the rest of us had Sprint or AT&T.) That's when I switched to Verizon and I will never go back to AT&T. I rarely have a dropped call (>1 a month) and I have found their tech support to be more helpful, too.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Well lets get the party started, the name is Scott, currently not a Verizon or Droid user.
Have the I-phone 3g, upgrade to the 3gs was futile for me due to jail breaking allowed for the same functions besides a few left out. Currently the phone ear speaker went out and now I am debating on **** canning ATT and going over to verizon.

I have never owned a phone or went to the Verizon network, checked out the droid, I know about rooting linux based machines somewhat and what the bonuses are to it, just as the bonuses are to a jailbroken unlocked iphone.

I am out in Southern California, Los Angeles area, Antelope Valley more so, looking into just canceling my contract for the 175 and buying the droid and setting up a verizon account.

The phone alone I have already heard a lot about, I am tech savvy and know a decent amount. I know what the i phone can do etc, bla bla bla who cares. The non droid fan boys and the non i phone fan boys, my question to you is, how is the Verizon network vs att? So far from the phone specs and what I have seen, I like the phone, seems the app store is growing day by day, looking forward to moving to verizon.

Been with VzN over 10 years. I'm south of Seattle in the Puget Sound/Tacoma area. I can't compare the two networks because I never had AT&T...however the friends of mine who have had it..didn't have it for long and told me dont get it. In the 10 years I have had VZN the only time it didn't work was in the 10 minutes surrounding a 6.6 earthquake that we had right here in the Puget Sound area (text messaging was fine) but that was not a VZN issue...the networks (all of them except SATCOM)immediately overloaded. I have NEVER had a dropped call and have used my phone successfully from airplanes flying across the country (before airlines got really uptight about it). The 3G network is FAST...it's fast enough that in metropolitan areas the lag behind WiFi may be about a second...but then the Droid phone has both and is selectable. All things considered, there is a reason why VZN is the top carrier in the world (Rogers and Vodaphone are the Canadian & European VZN)...I doubt you'll regret any decision to switch other than a monetary one. Good luck with your decision ... :icon_ devil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude...You mean to say you haven't seen the map commercials?;)

I would discuss your coverage problem with VZW. You may have a problem with a tower. Also I hear they will give you at no charge boosters or repeaters if you are having serious coverage issues. Don't know how true that last statement is however.

OP
Milk With Pulp

Milk With Pulp

Reaction score
So far everything seems good with the network, The Droid interests me due to the linux based phone, reasons I dislike apple and their phone is the main fact that to even enjoy what some amazing futures it has, you have to jailbreak it to customize it, use tethering, barely received mms and it was terrible there when splitting MMS and the sound functions into two.

The phone that I want ideally is the Nokia N-900, Won't happen due to its not a 3g phone and is T-Mobile network 8(... Sad day for me when I figured that out.

Droid seems to offer a little more around my taste, Iphone has the itunes, great music player, the album viewer etc, in reality, I don't use the mp3 player on the phone and watch videos because it drained the battery so badly it wasn't worth it unless plugged into power. Iphone with the multi touch has the ups and downs just as the droid, Apple tries to control it's consumers into what they can and cannot do to the phone. After a year, your phone breaks for any reason, your screwed, thus where I am at. Had the phone over a year and a half, the head seat, ear piece went bad, apple wants 100+ dollars to fix or more, Usually 150+ almost 200 range, just as much for a new phone with contract. I can upgrade to the 3gs January 19th or move over to Verizon and take the 400 dollar hit of fee's and try a better company. At least with verizon you have insurance you pay for monthly which will take care of the phone, my question is, how well do they take care of you? I also receive discounts as well, Sygma Network (Sysco), Fedex Freight, so the bill drops a little bit which is nice to see.

If you pay for the insurance on your phone, 6 months or 8 I believe it is a month for the Smart Phones, if you do somehow damage it or is in someway damage or broke, they will replace it? Now are there little details I am missing, do they tell you the straight up truth,basically if its malfunctioningm they replace it with a brand new one, if it's beyond repair or you damaged it, you can just pay the 80 dollar fee and have a new one?

If you could possibly fill me in on how Verizon Handles the phones, Damages etc paying for your warranty.

I appreciate the answers, hoping to see some West Coast users on here, to ask about coverage as well, AT&T is not horrible, I just wish there were certain issues they would fix.