New LTE off Switch For Thunderbolt

HamDog

Reaction score
Just curious...

Does it bother anyone that you have to disable 4G, the big 'feature' of the TB, in order to get acceptable battery life?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just find this absurd that you folks have to do this to prolong battery life.

It's the exact same thing as with my girlfriend's EVO. Turn on 4g and maybe get 1/2 days use out of it. Turn it off and woohoo! But she subscribes to Sprint's "unlimited data" tethering for $30/month. She uses her phone for her laptop's Internet connection at home (canceled DSL). So when she gets home, she plugs in her EVO and turns on 4G, then uses her laptop at 5.0 mb/s speed! Shen she leaves the house, she turns off 4G.

And with this Japanese nuclear mess-up, I don't think we'll be seeing any nuke-powered Android's anytime soon :icon_eek: Unless we all promise not to ever drop our phones :)

subguy812

Reaction score
Just curious...

Does it bother anyone that you have to disable 4G, the big 'feature' of the TB, in order to get acceptable battery life?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just find this absurd that you folks have to do this to prolong battery life.

Doesn't bother me in the least, I live in a 4G area and never turn it off. I see no reason why I need to. It doesn't make sense to turn off the biggest feature of the phone. I think there is alot of over reaction to the phone and battery life, use the phone and enjoy the technology and speed. My stock battery lasts, as a rule, 10 hours of normally using my phone. In other words not thinking about what I am using, if I want youtube I do it, the internet I do it. I have only un-synced the things I don't use ie... stocks, news, and extended the sync times on things I could, and get immediate sync on all 4 email accounts. My screen is on 25%. Now if you are using Yahoo to video chat it is totally understandable that it will drain the battery. Yes HTC should have put a bigger battery. I always had 2 batteries for my OG Droid. I kept my screen low, used my Droid the same way I use this. On the TB anything you turn off is just more battery life, the same as any phone. I didn't get the phone to worry about it. I also wanted to wait for the Bionic or something else, but honestly Moto may put a 1900Mah battery in it but I guaranteee it will be the same thing with the battery management. Folks won't be happy, the people who don't have it will find a reason to justify not having it, the folks who do have it will feel a need to justify that as well. I think the moving forward, until battery technology advances, we are looking at the same issues with smartphones. I don't think it is possible to have a nice lean, sexy device with today's technology and expect to go CONSISTENTLY all day everyday and not charge in a 24 hour period.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Just curious...

It doesnt bother me either... Sorta like now that I'm also running the 1.8 kernel... When i actually wanna use my phone I simply turn it up in SetCPU to 1.8, when i know i just need it to last me all day (out of the house) and going to be texting and calling later in the day, I will turn it down to 1.1 or 1.2 and get way better battery life. It takes 5 seconds to do :icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some good responses.

I know it doesn't take much to toggle 4G on/off, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see how you felt about it.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Some good responses.

I know it doesn't take much to toggle 4G on/off, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see how you felt about it.

no problem bro :)
yea it is a main feature but I mean it can also be an inconvenience like if your not going to be using it (that period of time) might as well turn it off for a bit

techguru

Reaction score
Voice and data will not work simultaneously on VZW's 3G network, regardless of the device you have.

Please do more research before making comments. The TB does have the ability to do voice and data on VZW's 3G network simultaneously. This has been confirmed by many, many people.

Josh

Oh, I'm sorry, Josh. Everything I've read.about the CDMA network has stated that voice and data won't work at the same time. I didn't mean to offend. Guess that is all the more reason to want a tbolt!

In general, you are correct, but the Thunderbolt actually has two separate radio chipsets. One for voice and one for data (I think 1X data may be on the voice radio, but 3G/4G are on the same one and will work at the same time as the voice radio.

Verizon employees were told not to overtly advertise it because they were not sure how reliable it will be, but it has been working perfectly for most of us.

VZW have also said they are working on a solution for the iPhone and its one radio too, but not many details available and no timeline.

Alan

Daethian

Reaction score
4G was not a big selling point in getting a Thunderbolt, I was just ready for a bigger, faster device. I work in a 4G area and live in a 3G area, this seems to be killing my battery. On my OG Droid I never left my wifi or gps running, I turned them on as needed. Turning 4G off and on is the same. I'm much more concerned about being able to email, text, twitter, scrabble and angry birds all day than be on 4G.:rofl3:

Just curious...

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Just curious...

Have 12 hour battery life with medium use. 4g all day and auto sync settings unchanged.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums