New LTE off Switch For Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Apr 3, 2011.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Every Thunderbolt owner knows how incredibly fast the battery on the new device dies when on an LTE connection, and with no easy way to turn off this feature, a new developer just released an app for it. The good guys over at TeamAndIRC just pushed out an application that gives you a simple way to toggle your LTE on an off when you need it. This isn’t a super sexy application, just made to get the job done, and get it done quickly.

Source: LTE onOFF brings an easy way to turn off 4G on your Thunderbolt | Android Central
  2. Its TwiX

Its TwiX New Member

<3

Now my battery will last for more than 14 hours.
  3. lockman

lockman New Member

14 hours? What do you do? Leave it in your pocket?:) I'm lucky to get 8-9 hours without a charge. But I do think I use my phone fairly heavily.

On topic, this is great news. Gonna try it out now.
  4. lockman

lockman New Member

Works perfectly.
  5. edbdroid

edbdroid New Member

Idle question... Does a tbolt try to connect LTE in a 3G-only area? If I get one before LTE is turned up in my area, do I need to be concerned about this?
  6. king_43

king_43 New Member

when I do this will I still be able to use data and talk at the same time? I am not in a 4g area but noticed when messing with them in the past it would not let me access data when on the phone
  7. edbdroid

edbdroid New Member

Voice and data will not work simultaneously on VZW's 3G network, regardless of the device you have.
  8. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

Yes it will.
  9. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

Yes. And you can always, you know, try it.
  10. dafischman

dafischman New Member

Please do more research before making comments. The TB does have the ability to do voice and data on VZW's 3G network simultaneously. This has been confirmed by many, many people.

Josh
  11. MadScientist

MadScientist New Member

I can vouch for this. We even have voice and data after the network switch following issues with eHRPD connections. I've never been on LTE and have voice and data all the time. How do u think I get through the calls with my wife ;-)

Sent from my Thunderbolt
  12. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Just curious...

Does it bother anyone that you have to disable 4G, the big 'feature' of the TB, in order to get acceptable battery life?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just find this absurd that you folks have to do this to prolong battery life.
  13. edbdroid

edbdroid New Member

Oh, I'm sorry, Josh. Everything I've read.about the CDMA network has stated that voice and data won't work at the same time. I didn't mean to offend. Guess that is all the more reason to want a tbolt!

You might wanna loosen those a bit... They seem to have bunched up on ya...
  14. bigjonmoo73

bigjonmoo73 New Member

Awesome! Good looking out!

Sent from Thunderbolt!
  15. Beardface

Beardface Member

Was thinking the same

Are the speeds of LTE (and the new over-priced tiered data plans) even worth it if it creates such a battery drain that you have to disable it to get it through the work-day, let alone the actual day?

I mean, its great that its fast and all, but if it can only hold a 8 hour charge with minimal use, it seems like that 'feature' is more of a bug than a benefit.
  16. HamDog

HamDog New Member

It's the exact same thing as with my girlfriend's EVO. Turn on 4g and maybe get 1/2 days use out of it. Turn it off and woohoo! But she subscribes to Sprint's "unlimited data" tethering for $30/month. She uses her phone for her laptop's Internet connection at home (canceled DSL). So when she gets home, she plugs in her EVO and turns on 4G, then uses her laptop at 5.0 mb/s speed! Shen she leaves the house, she turns off 4G.

And with this Japanese nuclear mess-up, I don't think we'll be seeing any nuke-powered Android's anytime soon :icon_eek: Unless we all promise not to ever drop our phones :)
  17. subguy812

subguy812 New Member

Doesn't bother me in the least, I live in a 4G area and never turn it off. I see no reason why I need to. It doesn't make sense to turn off the biggest feature of the phone. I think there is alot of over reaction to the phone and battery life, use the phone and enjoy the technology and speed. My stock battery lasts, as a rule, 10 hours of normally using my phone. In other words not thinking about what I am using, if I want youtube I do it, the internet I do it. I have only un-synced the things I don't use ie... stocks, news, and extended the sync times on things I could, and get immediate sync on all 4 email accounts. My screen is on 25%. Now if you are using Yahoo to video chat it is totally understandable that it will drain the battery. Yes HTC should have put a bigger battery. I always had 2 batteries for my OG Droid. I kept my screen low, used my Droid the same way I use this. On the TB anything you turn off is just more battery life, the same as any phone. I didn't get the phone to worry about it. I also wanted to wait for the Bionic or something else, but honestly Moto may put a 1900Mah battery in it but I guaranteee it will be the same thing with the battery management. Folks won't be happy, the people who don't have it will find a reason to justify not having it, the folks who do have it will feel a need to justify that as well. I think the moving forward, until battery technology advances, we are looking at the same issues with smartphones. I don't think it is possible to have a nice lean, sexy device with today's technology and expect to go CONSISTENTLY all day everyday and not charge in a 24 hour period.
  18. bluefire7002

bluefire7002 New Member

It doesnt bother me either... Sorta like now that I'm also running the 1.8 kernel... When i actually wanna use my phone I simply turn it up in SetCPU to 1.8, when i know i just need it to last me all day (out of the house) and going to be texting and calling later in the day, I will turn it down to 1.1 or 1.2 and get way better battery life. It takes 5 seconds to do :icon_ banana:
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Some good responses.

I know it doesn't take much to toggle 4G on/off, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see how you felt about it.
  20. bluefire7002

bluefire7002 New Member

no problem bro :)
    yea it is a main feature but I mean it can also be an inconvenience like if your not going to be using it (that period of time) might as well turn it off for a bit
Search tags for this page
how to turn off location on htc thunderbolt 6400

how to turn off location on thunderbolt

tasker turn off lte

thunderbolt phone on off switch