New LG G2, no 4G. :(

WolfR1

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why a new LG G2 not be getting 4G LTE access? It's default setting was Global so I set to CDMA / LTE but it will never connect to anything other than 3G or 1x. Will be contacting Verizon tomorrow but thought I would put something out here to see if I get any hits.

Ideas or similar experiences?

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Update: Worked with Verizon today via phone (land line) to get this fixed but no go. Have to replace the phone. Because I bought it from someone other than Verizon I have to have replacement shipped and won't receive it until Monday.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know here in central Virginia hasn't had 4g in a few days, only 3g and it tries to revert to 4g until it gives up and goes back to 3g every now and then. The last couple of weeks the 4g has been very weak all over town.
I was on the phone with Verizon for about an hour this morning and they said they have no reported outages but are "doing some Alltel cleanup in the area" . Don't know what that means but it's their reasoning for the 4g troubles here.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
This morning before I called I checked with a coworker who has a RAZR MAXX to see what his 4G state was like. He had three bars of 4G LTE so at the very least it should have been available to the phone.

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Update: got a replacement phone complete with new SIM card. Being anal I took both phones into Verizon to perform the exchange. Verizon rep insisted on using existing active SIM for new phone which exhibited same problem on transfer. Swapped the new SIM into new phone and onto my account and viola! 4G is live on phone. :)
Original phone and SIM getting sent back to vendor.

Tha187um

Reaction score
Update: got a replacement phone complete with new SIM card. Being anal I took both phones into Verizon to perform the exchange. Verizon rep insisted on using existing active SIM for new phone which exhibited same problem on transfer. Swapped the new SIM into new phone and onto my account and viola! 4G is live on phone. :)
Original phone and SIM getting sent back to vendor.

Thanks for the heads up, I bought mines on Sunday and will return it this coming Saturday, It's ridiculous to have this problem and for a Verizon rep to tell me it must be an app because NO ONE has reported this problem. I told them if it's an app, it's something Verizon installed because it did it brand new out of the box at the store. and it still does it right after a factory reset (I have done 2 already).

Im not sure if I wanna keep the same phone even if they give me a working one...

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
My second G2 is working flawlessly thus far. The phone is pretty cool, I wouldn't fault it for something wrong with the SIM card. A bad SIM will affect any phone it's plugged into.

Tha187um

Reaction score
I have a question... on the defective one, did you try turning off predictive text? If so, did it work?
I unchecked the box but the words keep coming up, I have done everything possible but it remains. Even with the factory reset... I ended up getting another keyboard app for now :/

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
No, why would that have anything to do with 4G connectivity? Originally I assumed the radio was defective but was wrong.

Tha187um

Reaction score
lol no no it has nothing to do with the 4G problem, but that is another problem I have and was wondering if you experienced it too.
I'm not the primary user of the phone, it's my girl, I fought hard to move her away from her iPhone 4S so you can see how this is making me look bad lmao...

I'll check with her if she wants to keep the same model if they give us a working one... also the call quality is choppy and muffled, so it could be related to the bad sim as well...

The quality on my Rezound is excellent

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Oh yeah I can see that. I had zero other issues with the other phone or this one. And call quality on both phones was excellent. Maybe she just got a bad phone. :(

Tha187um

Reaction score
Oh yeah I can see that. I had zero other issues with the other phone or this one. And call quality on both phones was excellent. Maybe she just got a bad phone. :(

Well it was just a defective Sim card... I tried the SIM from my Rezound and it worked flawless, I like how we can do that with these devices just like a GSM phone :)

However, she decided to return it and get the S4, oh well, I really rooted for the G2, but it lacks wow factor with its features :/

dorlopp

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why a new LG G2 not be getting 4G LTE access? It's default setting was Global so I set to CDMA / LTE but it will never connect to anything other than 3G or 1x. Will be contacting Verizon tomorrow but thought I would put something out here to see if I get any hits.

Ideas or similar experiences?

I have had the same issue as you all did. I have an old sims card that was in my old droid 4 phone. My coverage kept losing 4g and no matter what I did no 4g in sight. I have a sims card that came with the lg g2 and after a long time of suffering with this problem I called tech support. He tracked down the problem to the sims card I had in the phone. Long story short the problem lies in the old sims card. The old card was primary a 3g card so the device would try to go to 4g and it did on a temp basis but after a 2 to 3 minute period it would never go back to 4g without the reboot. I had tech support check it out and after we activated the proper sims card...poof... all better! The problem lies in the sims card. Call tech support and it will fix your problem. Hope this helps everyone by offering a solution and exposing the problem so everyone understands the issue..