New Droid X2 user- Need help transfering SMS and other files from my original Droid 1

noah1164

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is George and I'm glad to be here.

My wife and I have had the original droid through Verizon Wireless for about a year now and were given the chance to upgrade one of our phones (which was good because hers fell in water just a week ago and isn't working). We can upgrade our other phone in Jan, just 6 months from now.

We decided to go with the Motorola Droid X2. My eyes are getting worse, so the bigger screen is nice; not to mention the dual core 1 GB processor. I do however have a technical question/problem.

In my original Droid, I used the app call SMS Backup & Restore, because I need to save all my text information for court and other personal purposes. I assume when I did the Backups, they were backed up to my sd card, because when I mounted the droid to my PC I saw the folder SMS BackupRestore and in it were .xml files with the different backup dates as part of the file name.

I really don't want to throw my original 16gb sd card in the new phone. I wanted to reformat it, THEN put it in my Droid X2 and kind of reinstall the apps again and transfer the data into the phone via my PC. (Funny how the new upgraded phone only came with an 8gb sd card). This is where I am having difficulty:

I installed the same app (SMS Backup & Restore) to my Droid X2, thinking I can run the app and use the restore portion, thinking it would give instructions but instead it just came up with a screen that said
"Could not find any backup files in the /mnt/sdcard/SMSBackupRestore/ folder".
I have no clue on how to get my backup files into my new DroidX2. I even tried to change the backup file name in the app on the new phone and manually put a folder with the same name into the phone with the sms .xml files in it.
Basically I also need to know how I keep all my bookmarks that I also had in my Browser and all the downloaded documents (.doc and .pdf's).
I'm sure it's a simple fix, but unknown to me :)

I would appreciate any help in this matter so I can get my phone up and running. I don't want to format anything until I see these files in my new phone. Thank you for listening :)

~ George

OP
N

noah1164

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is George and I'm new here.

My wife and I have had the original droid through Verizon Wireless for about a year now and were given the chance to upgrade one of our phones (which was good because hers fell in water just a week ago and isn't working). We can upgrade our other phone in Jan, just 6 months from now.

We decided to go with the Motorola Droid X2. My eyes are getting worse, so the bigger screen is nice; not to mention the dual core 1 GB processor. I do however have a technical question/problem.

In my original Droid, I used the app call SMS Backup & Restore, because I need to save all my text information for court and other personal purposes. I assume when I did the Backups, they were backed up to my sd card, because when I mounted the droid to my PC I saw the folder SMS BackupRestore and in it were .xml files with the different backup dates as part of the file name.

I really don't want to throw my original 16gb sd card in the new phone. I wanted to reformat it, THEN put it in my Droid X2 and kind of reinstall the apps again and transfer the data into the phone via my PC. (Funny how the new upgraded phone only came with an 8gb sd card). This is where I am having difficulty:

I installed the same app (SMS Backup & Restore) to my Droid X2, thinking I can run the app and use the restore portion, thinking it would give instructions but instead it just came up with a screen that said
"Could not find any backup files in the /mnt/sdcard/SMSBackupRestore/ folder".
I have no clue on how to get my backup files into my new DroidX2. I even tried to change the backup file name in the app on the new phone and manually put a folder with the same name into the phone with the sms .xml files in it.
Basically I also need to know how I keep all my bookmarks that I also had in my Browser and all the downloaded documents (.doc and .pdf's).
I'm sure it's a simple fix, but unknown to me :)

I would appreciate any help in this matter so I can get my phone up and running. I don't want to format anything until I see these files in my new phone. Thank you for listening :)

~ George

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't understand why you wouldn't just put the old card in, load the sms messages and then backup the sdcard to your computer, and format the card.

Or name a folder SDCard on your desktop of your computer and copy the entire contents to this folder, then wipe the card put whatever you want back on the card and put it in your X2 and restore your backup.

The documents should be on the sdcard in /download and the browser favorites will be backed up to your gmail account.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please do not double post. I've answered your question in the other thread you created.

OP
N

noah1164

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for responding guidot.

I did make a folder on my pc last night called android backup and transferred it all over. When I went to go online and went to the browser, none of my bookmarks were there anymore. I'm really not sure on how to get them from my gmail account.
I am going to do what you said and put the sdcard in and hopefully get my texts back. The only reason I was hesitant of putting my sdcard in without formatting it first is because I have been having a lot of issues with my phone and errors, so I didn't want to replicate the same problems onto my new phone. I will let you know how it goes.

* Sorry for the double post in the technical area. I thought perhaps I put this request in the wrong area and was afraid it wouldn't be seen. I apologize and will not do that again :).

I really do appreciate your help, and especially in a very timely manner!

~ George

OP
N

noah1164

Reaction score
Problems loading the sms messages

I put my old 16gb sdcard in my new droidx2. I could see all the files when I go to the sdcard file. When I go to the texts I don't see the messages I had originally had. I even went to the SMS Backup and Restore app and it is still telling me it can't find any backup files in the /mnt/sdcard/SMSBackupRestore/ folder. I don't even see a folder with the name 'mnt'.

Any ideas on how I load my sms messages?

Thanks
~ George

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
only thing I can think of is to back them up using a different program, or maybe write the developer of SMS Backup and see if the DX2 is looking for the files on internal memory for some reason...

Wish I could be of more help.

Also, the bookmarks should have been saved to your gmail account, but you would have to make sure in the old phone you had "backup my data and settings" checked in the privacy settings in your D1.