New droid owner Needs help please!

Jug1986

Reaction score
Hey i've had the droid for about a week, and i'm having problems xfering data from my computer to the droid. I searched the forum and tried to do what was told. I plug the droid up via usb cable and it shows up as removable disc D: when i click it , it says please insert disc into removable drive. I've tried mounting it , but then it says "Turn off usb storage" I have no idea what this means. I've dismounted and mouted about 10 times to no avial. I really hope somebody can help with this problem I have I would appreciate it.

agmx73

Reaction score
Hey i've had the droid for about a week, and i'm having problems xfering data from my computer to the droid. I searched the forum and tried to do what was told. I plug the droid up via usb cable and it shows up as removable disc D: when i click it , it says please insert disc into removable drive. I've tried mounting it , but then it says "Turn off usb storage" I have no idea what this means. I've dismounted and mouted about 10 times to no avial. I really hope somebody can help with this problem I have I would appreciate it.
It sounds like you are getting the correct messages. Since I don't know what all you have been reading or the steps you are using, I will outline it here.
1. When you connect the USB cable, you should get a USB icon in the notification area on the Droid.
2. If you open Windows Exporer, you will see a drive, E in my case called Removable disk. If you select it, you will get the message "Please insert a disk into drive E".
3. On the Droid, drag down the notification area so you see it say "USB Connected" Touch this with your finger.
4. A pop up will say "USB Connected" and you can select Mount or Don't Mount. Select Mount. This will mount the SD card as Drive "X" for Windows to see.
5. The Notification area will briefly say "Turn off USB Storage". More on that in a second.
6. Go to Windows Explorer and select the Removable Disk again. Now you should see your SD card. If not, are you sure it has been formatted properly?
7. When you are done accessing the SD card with the PC, select a different directory in Windows Explorer NOT on the SD card. (C: for instance)
8. On the Droid, drag the notification area open.
9. You will notice the message "Turn off USB storage". Touch this with your finger.
10. A pop up says "Turn off USB storage" with 2 selections; Turn off or Cancel. Selecting Cancel leaves the card mounted to the PC. Select Turn off will unmount the SD card from the PC. You want to do this BEFORE you remove the USB cable. If not, you could corrupt the card.

If it still isn't working, I would format the card and try again or get another card to put in to test it out first. Good luck.