New Contract, New Phone... NO idea what to get.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Hi all! Figured maybe you guys could help me out.

I've had an original Droid v1 for the past 2 years, and my contract is up with Verizon and I can get a new phone whenever I like. However... I'm rather stuck with what phone to get.

I think I'm lame for saying this, but I'd really like to keep the LED notification light, although looking at newer phones, they don't seem to have it. I also have to get used to no keyboard it seems. I'd like a larger screen and maybe a better camera, and yet... I feel like I can't decide. Le sigh.

So, from other Android users... which ones do you own and what do you think? I'm a rather light user, I live near Boston and do use my phone as my GPS now. I'd really like to hear about the longevity on the screen's reactions to touch over time.

Thanks everyone! dancedroid

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
Depending how close to Boston you are you'll get 4G. I'm about 10miles north and I have it all the time. I chose the Thunderbolt for my upgrade from the Droid1 and am quite happy with it.

I didn't use the physical keyboard that much on the Droid so it wasn't a big deal to get use to the touch keyboard all the time. Since the OTA update my battery life has greatly improved and so has the sound playing music. Those were my only real complaints with this phone. I'm not an extremely heavy user, I don't watch movies on a phone, I mostly make a few calls & texts, listen to music everyday and play games when work is slow and it lasts me all day. I charge it as I sleep and if I play lots of games I may have to charge it a bit while at work as I'm sitting g at my desk. So it really depends how heavy a user you are if the battery life is a concern of yours.

It does have a LED light notification but it is only one color for all notifications. Navigation works great for me. 4G is wicked fast! I really like the Sense UI, wasn't too hard to figure out but of course the was a bit of a learning curve and getting g use to the differences coming from the Droid. You'll love how much more room you have for all the apps you want. I have more than double that I had on my Droid and there is plenty left over.

The screens loads and scroll much smoother. I love the larger 4.3 screen and I know some others have better resolutions but I don't notice it, looks fine to me. The camera works great and takes better pics indoors with less light than the Droid and it does have a front facing camera also. I loved my Droid but at the end it was showing it's age and limitations.

There are some new phones coming out soon but for what's out there now I'd still choose the Thunderbolt.

buellboy9

Reaction score
I have similar thoughts and concerns. What current Android phone on the Verizon network does NOT have a locked bootloader?

OP
C

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Depending how close to Boston you are you'll get 4G. I'm about 10miles north and I have it all the time. I chose the Thunderbolt for my upgrade from the Droid1 and am quite happy with it.

I didn't use the physical keyboard that much on the Droid so it wasn't a big deal to get use to the touch keyboard all the time. Since the OTA update my battery life has greatly improved and so has the sound playing music. Those were my only real complaints with this phone. I'm not an extremely heavy user, I don't watch movies on a phone, I mostly make a few calls & texts, listen to music everyday and play games when work is slow and it lasts me all day. I charge it as I sleep and if I play lots of games I may have to charge it a bit while at work as I'm sitting g at my desk. So it really depends how heavy a user you are if the battery life is a concern of yours.

It does have a LED light notification but it is only one color for all notifications. Navigation works great for me. 4G is wicked fast! I really like the Sense UI, wasn't too hard to figure out but of course the was a bit of a learning curve and getting g use to the differences coming from the Droid. You'll love how much more room you have for all the apps you want. I have more than double that I had on my Droid and there is plenty left over.

The screens loads and scroll much smoother. I love the larger 4.3 screen and I know some others have better resolutions but I don't notice it, looks fine to me. The camera works great and takes better pics indoors with less light than the Droid and it does have a front facing camera also. I loved my Droid but at the end it was showing it's age and limitations.

There are some new phones coming out soon but for what's out there now I'd still choose the Thunderbolt.

Wow, that's basically everything I was looking for lol. Glad to hear from another (previous) Droid1 user!
I was torn between waiting for the Revolution of getting the Thunderbolt, and I think I'm gonna go for the Thunderbolt, since it fits everything I really want. I'm just sad I have to buy a new car mount and alarm clock mount, haha.
Thank you so much for the input!

buellboy9

Reaction score
colorfulRhyme said:
I'm just sad I have to buy a new car mount and alarm clock mount, haha.
Thank you so much for the input!

I feel your pain.

PARADIGM

Reaction score
Dude I've been in that same spot since March. Had my Droid 1 for a while and finally yesterday I got a T-bolt! It's a really nice phone. I don't think you will be disappointed.